Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Aug 15, 2006, 03:46 AM   #1
cdpilkington
macrumors member

BIOS set-up on MacBook pro

I don't suppose any clever person knows if it's possible to access the BIOS setup screen on windows XP? I've been told it usually comes about by pressing/holding the "delete" key whilst windows is loading. However, I can't seem to get it to appear on the Macbook pro whilst I load. I need to disable hyperthreading in the BIOS to get something to work, and this seems to be the way to do it.
Any ideas?
cdpilkington is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 08:03 AM   #2
ilkevinli
macrumors regular

There is no BIOS on Macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpilkington
I don't suppose any clever person knows if it's possible to access the BIOS setup screen on windows XP? I've been told it usually comes about by pressing/holding the "delete" key whilst windows is loading. However, I can't seem to get it to appear on the Macbook pro whilst I load. I need to disable hyperthreading in the BIOS to get something to work, and this seems to be the way to do it.
Any ideas?
ilkevinli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 08:16 AM   #3
Queso
macrumors 603

Macs use Intel's Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) to perform the same job as a BIOS. Intel have been trying to introduce this for years, but thanks to Microsoft dragging their feet, were unable to put it into any production units until Apple switched onto their processors. Therefore there is no BIOS screen on a Mac, as they don't have a BIOS.

Also, the Core Duo processor in the MacBook Pro does not use Hyperthreading, since HT is a method for a single core CPU to emulate a dual core one. You need to find a Windows app that will permit you to turn off the second processor core like you can in OSX.
Queso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 08:38 AM   #4
grabberslasher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpilkington
Any ideas?
Edit your Boot.ini to include the option to disable HyperThreading. You don't need a BIOS.

"/ONECPU" or "/numcpu=1" will accomplish this.
grabberslasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 08:45 AM   #5
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabberslasher
Edit your Boot.ini to include the option to disable HyperThreading. You don't need a BIOS.

"/ONECPU" or "/numcpu=1" will accomplish this.
I believe that should be "/numproc=1", http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170756/

Good tip!

B
Old Aug 15, 2006, 02:11 PM   #6
cdpilkington
macrumors member

Excellent, fixing the boot.ini file worked a treat. Thanks again!
cdpilkington is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:56 PM   #7
neilyes
macrumors newbie

pls hel!

hello! how disable the memory options on the bios set up of macbook in order for me to install a dual boot with windows. it says that i need to disable memory options ie: caching and or shadowing.
neilyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac