Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdpilkington

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
I don't suppose any clever person knows if it's possible to access the BIOS setup screen on windows XP? I've been told it usually comes about by pressing/holding the "delete" key whilst windows is loading. However, I can't seem to get it to appear on the Macbook pro whilst I load. I need to disable hyperthreading in the BIOS to get something to work, and this seems to be the way to do it.
Any ideas?

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
There is no BIOS on Macs.

cdpilkington said:
I don't suppose any clever person knows if it's possible to access the BIOS setup screen on windows XP? I've been told it usually comes about by pressing/holding the "delete" key whilst windows is loading. However, I can't seem to get it to appear on the Macbook pro whilst I load. I need to disable hyperthreading in the BIOS to get something to work, and this seems to be the way to do it.
Any ideas?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Macs use Intel's Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) to perform the same job as a BIOS. Intel have been trying to introduce this for years, but thanks to Microsoft dragging their feet, were unable to put it into any production units until Apple switched onto their processors. Therefore there is no BIOS screen on a Mac, as they don't have a BIOS.

Also, the Core Duo processor in the MacBook Pro does not use Hyperthreading, since HT is a method for a single core CPU to emulate a dual core one. You need to find a Windows app that will permit you to turn off the second processor core like you can in OSX.

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
cdpilkington said:
Any ideas?

Edit your Boot.ini to include the option to disable HyperThreading. You don't need a BIOS.

"/ONECPU" or "/numcpu=1" will accomplish this.

neilyes

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2010
pls hel!

hello! how disable the memory options on the bios set up of macbook in order for me to install a dual boot with windows. it says that i need to disable memory options ie: caching and or shadowing. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.