Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyguy451

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Just this morning I did a suggested security update on my 1.83 Macbook running 10.4.7. A restart was required....after the restart I got a white screen with a series of colored vertical lines on the right side. I did another restart and got a normal startup chime and the computer hung at a blue screen. That's it. Several restarts attempted, PMU reset, attempted to boot from install disk - all no joy. Blue screen on every attempt. This machine had the logic board replaced 1 month ago so I called Applecare. They suggest that the "recent" logic board repair was not done correctly. I call BS on that but am now stuck with taking the machine for repair. Called my local Apple guy and he says that I am the second customer to have had "THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN AFTER DOING A SECURITY UPDATE."

My advice is to hold off on doing this update.

~ j ~

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2006
United Kingdum
flyguy451 said:
Just this morning I did a suggested security update on my 1.83 Macbook running 10.4.7. A restart was required....after the restart I got a white screen with a series of colored vertical lines on the right side. I did another restart and got a normal startup chime and the computer hung at a blue screen. That's it. Several restarts attempted, PMU reset, attempted to boot from install disk - all no joy. Blue screen on every attempt. This machine had the logic board replaced 1 month ago so I called Applecare. They suggest that the "recent" logic board repair was not done correctly. I call BS on that but am now stuck with taking the machine for repair. Called my local Apple guy and he says that I am the second customer to have had "THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN AFTER DOING A SECURITY UPDATE."

My advice is to hold off on doing this update.

in all my years doing the software update thing [since it began] i havnt had one problem at all.
[thats a lot of years and a lot of macs]

this one screwed my macbook pro, in a similar way to yours. [mine also had just had a logic board]
i was not resurrectable in any way, so it had to go in [again]

oh the joy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.