Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
this is mac osx native firefox, much like camino. but with extensions, lol
Thanks Josh Aas and other ppl's hard work
picture1qs4.png

UPDATE:
The mod locked my other post, coz he thinks that post states the same info as this one.
So i think I need to explain here, in this old post, Josh (developer of Camino) began to test the cocoa firefox, the build was experimental, test builds were not in the official mozilla trunk nightly build directory.

And Mozilla developer just landed the cocoa widget on the OFFICIAL TRUNK BUILD TODAY, 2006/09/28 from tomorrow on, anybody who use official firefox Trunk (minefield) will have cocoa widget!

Congrats!

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
What I want is the Gecko engine as a framework to be used in other apps! That would be sweet, one can finally use the rendering engine in an app that doesn't suck on OS X.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Chaszmyr said:
3.0a before 2.0 is out?
It's an outlet for people who want to work on new features while the other branch works on making a stable release.
netdog said:
It's called Minefield with a bomb icon? Is this for real?
Yeah, they've been using that for a while :)

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
3.0 is at very early stage, don't be surprised if u found it buggy.
save your bookmarks just in case

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
Save your whole profile directory! I found it quite buggy (the enter key didn't even work when I last tried) but it's quite interesting to look at.

One thing I did notice is that all of the nightly builds are PowerPC builds. Nowhere on the FTP site can I find universal binaries or dedicated Intel builds (apart from the official releases obviously)

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
?? the build in the directory i linked to is Intel Build.
Anyway, its nightly build, try from time to time.

3.0 will eventually goes to cairo, so far, the mac build is not cairo yet, i noticed they have a cocoa-cairo directory on server, but nothing in there yet.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Weird... my Minefield also had aqua buttons (see the Search button top right) but they seem to have gone missing after I used the internal updater... and the version is suddenly gone back (?) to Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060816 Minefield/3.0a1...?!? Edit: Or maybe mine was always 20060816...? I'm not sure...

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 261

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Weird... my Minefield also had aqua buttons (see the Search button top right) but they seem to have gone missing after I used the internal updater... and the version is suddenly gone back (?) to Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060816 Minefield/3.0a1...?!? Edit: Or maybe mine was always 20060816...? I'm not sure...
That is odd. My nightly is only one day newer. o_O

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
Finally. We now will be able to see native speeds with Firefox. Even though the new features with Safari in Leopard will probably keep surfing with Safari.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Eidorian said:
That is odd. My nightly is only one day newer. o_O
Yes, odd indeed, I have no idea why... I downloaded Minefield from the link above, and then used the updater, which said a new nightly was ready and strongly advised me to upgrade so I did. It fixed a couple of bugs (one letting me drag and drop bookmarks again and the other enabled me to get a drop down of my search engines), but the aqua look on web site item, like buttons, went missing... :confused:

Maybe I'll get another tomorrow, restoring the aqua "theme"...? ;)

FredClausen

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
KALM
Not bad. I thought it sure "felt" faster, but without the aqua look :rolleyes:

In a similar vein, what is up with FF 2? I know it got delayed, but I tried to find an alpha build on the FF site and its pretty confusing, and looking around the ftp.mozilla.org site didn't help matters at all.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
let me explain:
the link i gave out in the first post is a experimental nightly build by Josh Aas and other developer. so if you want to update your cocoa firefox, you need to visit that link again, there, they will put new build everyday (so called "nightly" build)
but the build-in "check for update" will directly goto trunk directory, the build there is not cocoa yet, so don't do automatic update.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
FredClausen said:
Not bad. I thought it sure "felt" faster, but without the aqua look :rolleyes:

In a similar vein, what is up with FF 2? I know it got delayed, but I tried to find an alpha build on the FF site and its pretty confusing, and looking around the ftp.mozilla.org site didn't help matters at all.

They've just said that the final should be out in October. They're having trouble with the spelling checker and a few other things and that's also keeping them from producing beta 2.

As I've read about Firefox version 3.0, the main feature of it is a new Gecko engine. I'm not sure that should rate another new version but then, version 2.0 should probably be version 1.6.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
FredClausen said:
FF beta 1 was horrible in my opinion. I tried it and rolled back to alpha 3, aka Bon Echo 2.0a3.

Now I'm using FF 3, aka Minefield 3.0a1, and that feels much snapper. Only real issue I have so far is the lacking ability to open links from external applications in a new tab instead of a new window, but apart from that the 20060816 and 20060817 seems quite nice... ;)

They have fixed the bug in FF2 which made it impossible to search the bookmarks. That's a feature I missed (enough to impost all my FF bookmarks into Safari and enable the Safari plugin in QuickSilver - the FF plugin in QS has never worked for me, but maybe it will start to work now...?)

Had to "kill" off Sage, but Google RSS reader seems like a nice substitute (of course I have to administrate my feed subscriptions from another browser due to a Google-Minefield compatibility issue, but that's acceptable). Adblock Plus is more than happy to work with Minefield and is my only Add-on at the moment.

I also managed to copy over my English (UK) and Norwegian dictionaries from Bon Echo and they work great.

Unless I encounter some major issue I'm probably going to use Minefield as my main browser for now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.