Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:50 PM   #1
staigerman
macrumors newbie

testing PD Particles or PD Pro - bootcamp and VirtualPC for Mac?

Heya, I'm interested in feedback from users who regularly use bootcamp/windows XP on a Mac with the goal to run some graphics like Photoshop or 3D on the Windows side of things, and are able to test-run the demo/trial edition of PD Pro or earlier versions of Project Dogwaffle such as the freware 1.2 version. Likewise, to know if this works under VirtualPC on a Mac:

http://www.thebest3d.com/pdp - sorry, no demo available, only do this if you have your full version

http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/demozone - the trial version of PD Pro 3.5

http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/free - the freeware version 1.2

If you could do some tests and report how these behave I'd love to hear it. I don't have a Mac but I keep getting inquiries from Mac users who ask when this will ported to Mac. It may never be, so I want to know if the other options are working in the first place: Virtual PC and bootcamp. (and are there any other ways to run Windows apps on a Mac? SoftWindows still alive? Anything available for Mac that's equivalent to Wine, or Win4Lin, like we see it made for Linux?)

A few years ago I did a test of then PD 2.1 on a G3 ibook, under virtual POC, and it worked but it was dogslow. Not enough memory, bad optimization, poor system FSB, who knows, they all worked towards making it slow. I mknow things have improved on VirtualPC's side, and I do expect it should work better on a 'real' system, desktop with ooodles of FSB speed and memory. .... does it?

-Philip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PD_Particle_Example14-600.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	55297  
staigerman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics