Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:50 PM   #1
Fatal Darkness
macrumors newbie

Mac compatible gamepad?

Could anyone recommend a gamepad that actually works on Mac? I purchased a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 as it specifically stated it supported OSX on the box, and when I got it home found that there was no driver support whatsoever and the controller didn't work in any game I tried it in. I'll be returning it tomorrow.

I looked at the two game pads offered in the Apple online store and the reviews revealed the same experiences about them as well. Are there controllers that are usable?

Thanks
Fatal Darkness is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Super Macho Man
macrumors 6502a

Your pad may be defective, because that pad is for sure supported in OS X, otherwise Macworld Magazine wouldn't have given it 3 1/2 stars.

Any USB pad that supports HID should work fine in OS X with no drivers necessary. You may find software such as USB Overdrive, Gamepad Companion, or ControllerMate useful to configure the buttons (OS X has no built-in ability to do this).

Also try this:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...padtester.html
Super Macho Man is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2006, 01:22 AM   #3
Zorkon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal Darkness
Could anyone recommend a gamepad that actually works on Mac? I purchased a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 as it specifically stated it supported OSX on the box
I've got the plain ol' Logitech dual-action gamepad and it works perfectly for me. No drivers required. X-Plane picked it up without any trouble.

Details here:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=6951
Old Aug 19, 2006, 01:28 AM   #4
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

The original Cordless Rumblepad has been working fine with my machine. However, not many games support it.
bousozoku is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2006, 07:42 AM   #5
sb58
macrumors 6502a

wired 360 controller? XD
sb58 is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:04 PM   #6
fblack
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal Darkness
Could anyone recommend a gamepad that actually works on Mac? I purchased a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 as it specifically stated it supported OSX on the box, and when I got it home found that there was no driver support whatsoever and the controller didn't work in any game I tried it in. I'll be returning it tomorrow.

I looked at the two game pads offered in the Apple online store and the reviews revealed the same experiences about them as well. Are there controllers that are usable?

Thanks
I've got a pad, a stick , and laser mouse from logitech. I like their hardware but the software for their devices on a mac is inferior to non existent. Some games will have support for your devices built in others will not. I went and picked up USB Overdrive software a few years ago and I'm a happy camper. I can preprogram all buttons, switches etc--for each app/game. Its shareware and supports macs on OS9, OSX and even intelmacs. Good stuff.

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverd...formation.html
fblack is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2006, 07:36 PM   #7
iPoster
macrumors regular

A Logitech Rumblepad 2 with USB Overdrive works fine for me, although the rumble feature is not supported by OSX at this time, at least for this controller. IIRC the MacAlly iShock is the only current controller with a working rumble in OSX, though it is a bit large for children's hands IMHO which is why I chose the Rumblepad.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:35 PM   #8
Tommyg117
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorkon
I've got the plain ol' Logitech dual-action gamepad and it works perfectly for me. No drivers required. X-Plane picked it up without any trouble.

Details here:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=6951
that's what I have, it's worked fine for me
Tommyg117 is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:36 PM   #9
penter
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to penter Send a message via MSN to penter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb58 View Post
wired 360 controller? XD
yeah, i know there ares some drivers out there for the wired 360 controller, but i wonder how buggy they can be. i fear that they might cause slow responses, or result mistaken signals.

are these 3rd party drivers for the 360 gamepad reliable??

edit: wait a minute.... do you need a driver for the 360 controller, or is it plug and play??

Last edited by penter; Dec 9, 2006 at 11:56 PM.
penter is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:37 AM   #10
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post
A Logitech Rumblepad 2 with USB Overdrive works fine for me, although the rumble feature is not supported by OSX at this time, at least for this controller. IIRC the MacAlly iShock is the only current controller with a working rumble in OSX, though it is a bit large for children's hands IMHO which is why I chose the Rumblepad.
I've been using a Cordless Rumblepad and it rumbles just fine with a game that supports it but that's using Logitech's own software.
bousozoku is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2006, 05:03 AM   #11
N10248
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by penter View Post
yeah, i know there ares some drivers out there for the wired 360 controller, but i wonder how buggy they can be. i fear that they might cause slow responses, or result mistaken signals.

are these 3rd party drivers for the 360 gamepad reliable??

edit: wait a minute.... do you need a driver for the 360 controller, or is it plug and play??
The Xbox 360 pad drivers are excellent, ive never had a problem with them at all, especially in games like halo as the controls feel exactly the same as playing on an xbox.

At the moment thought im using a Wii Remote for playing old Mega Drive / Genesis games on my iMac - Great fun!

Bye
Old Dec 10, 2006, 01:49 PM   #12
penter
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to penter Send a message via MSN to penter
thanx N10248, Halo is the game that I'm looking at. i was considering getting a logitech controller, but that wouldnt be the same thing as playing halo with a real xbox controller...

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games