Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Just thought I'de share I just got my 17" iMac today to replace my old G4!!!! So far im loving it, it's overall much "snappier" then my G4, haven't done too much with it yet but it seems very nice. It's stock, with no upgrades. So not much more to say right now except Yay! Congratulate me LOL :) Anything I should know about this nice new machine?

I do have one quick question too, is there any way to partition my HD without a re-install? I want to make a few partitions, but don't really feel like re-installing it already.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
todd2000 said:
Just thought I'de share I just got my 17" iMac today to replace my old G4!!!! So far im loving it, it's overall much "snappier" then my G4, haven't done too much with it yet but it seems very nice. It's stock, with no upgrades. So not much more to say right now except Yay! Congratulate me LOL :) Anything I should know about this nice new machine?

I do have one quick question too, is there any way to partition my HD without a re-install? I want to make a few partitions, but don't really feel like re-installing it already.

I'm not sure, because I don't have an intel Mac, but I believe Boot camp is essentially a live partitioning tool, and might do what you want.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Cameront9 said:
I'm not sure, because I don't have an intel Mac, but I believe Boot camp is essentially a live partitioning tool, and might do what you want.

I was thinking the same thing, I just DLed it, but havent tried it yet. I don't want to mess up my shinney new computer :)

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
Here is something cool you can do. There is a little app out there that lets you see ur cd when you put it in, I use it on my Macbook (there are settings so you can change where you see the disc come from). I don't remember what it's called (On my PC now). IT's a cool free program with lots of options. Someone hit us a link please...

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
I've never used bootcamp on my intel mac, but doesn't it just create NTFS partitions which OS X cannot write to?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
tipdrill407 said:
I've never used bootcamp on my intel mac, but doesn't it just create NTFS partitions which OS X cannot write to?

This might be sketchy, but I think once BootCamp makes the NTFS partitions, Disk Utility will happily re-format them as HFS+. :D

But I have never tried this.

deebster

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2004
Olde Englande
Rapmastac1 said:
Here is something cool you can do. There is a little app out there that lets you see ur cd when you put it in, I use it on my Macbook (there are settings so you can change where you see the disc come from). I don't remember what it's called (On my PC now). IT's a cool free program with lots of options. Someone hit us a link please...

Disctop/ ;)

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
todd2000 said:

I suggest doing the re-install actually. That way you can choose what printer drivers, and all that stuff to include. When i get a new mac i usually set everything up and then about 30-45 min later shut it all down and do a complete reinstall so that i can get everything the way i want it. I usually take out printer drivers, garage band loops, games, and usually the trial versions they include.

But if you don't really want to do that then i would look into bootcamps partitioning feature.

TurboLag

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
BootCamp will allow you to partition without affecting your MacOSX install. You can also revert back if you do not need the NTFS partition, again, not affecting your OSX install.

I have been using it since the first day I got my MacBook, its great. Just wish I had a bigger HD. . .

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Im just going to re-install, but I have one more question, should I make a FAT32 partiton when installling to share files between my Windows(NTFS) partition and OS X, or can I make the FAT32 partition using Bootcamp later?

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
todd2000 said:
Im just going to re-install, but I have one more question, should I make a FAT32 partiton when installling to share files between my Windows(NTFS) partition and OS X, or can I make the FAT32 partition using Bootcamp later?

Can you not just make the Windows partition FAT32? Windows should run on FAT32, and then you will be able to read/write to the partition from OSX.

F

freakonguitar

Partition

doesn't Disk Utility that comes with mac os x allow you to partition your hard drive? I may be wrong but take a look...

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Cameront9 said:
Can you not just make the Windows partition FAT32? Windows should run on FAT32, and then you will be able to read/write to the partition from OSX.

That was a side question, my original question was just how can I add a regular HFS+ partition, nothing to do with Windows, somehow this thread turned into a Bootcamp/Windows thread, I do wan't to make a Fat32 partition but thts another question. To answer freakonguitar, Disk Utility won't let you partition your start-up volume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.