Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Post your HDRI creations here...

The Ground Rules:

1. Only people posting images are allowed to comment on other images. These images are so awesome, words cannot describe them... so please keep "chatter" to a minimum. :)

2. You're encouraged to explain your HDRI process (eg. # of exposures, camera settings, etc.)

3. Post a maximum of 2 images a day.

HDRI stands for High Dynamic Range Imaging. It's the latest craze among photo enthusiasts because the process allows you to capture all the dynamic range of the real world and put all that DR goodness into a 32-bit image file, even though your monitor can only display it in 8-bits (256 levels of brightness). And there are programs floating about that allow you to take the 32-bits and compress it down to 8-bits for some very interesting results. Post those images in this thread.

Primer & Tutorials:
Wikipedia.org entry
High Dynamic Range Imaging
HDRI Tutorial (pdf)
Flickr: HDR

Tools:
HDR in Photoshop CS2
Photomatix

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
I guess I'll start... :)

Taken this very morning! This image is a composite of 9 exposures taken 1 f-stops apart on my trusty Nikon D100, 28-300mm lens. Metered settings: 1", F/8.0, ISO 200, Tungsten

Final:
9frombroadway.jpg

Exposures 1 and 9:
broadway_before.jpg

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Metered settings: 1", F/22.0, ISO 200, Fluorescent

Final:
2bins.jpg

Exposures 1 and 9: (shutter speeds between 1/15th - 15 seconds)
2bins_before.jpg

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
lexus said:
Can you post the full res images?
If so, please do it as a link, not as an inline image. Thanks.

And beautiful shots - the technique is very interesting to me, and I've been reading through your linked articles.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
lexus said:
Can you post the full res images?

jsw, good rule about not linking full images inline. :)

Another rule: Keep images a maximum 800 pixels across. Follow those guidelines and everyone will be happy.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
spicyapple said:
I guess I'll start... :)

Taken this very morning! This image is a composite of 9 exposures taken 1 f-stops apart on my trusty Nikon D100, 28-300mm lens. Metered settings: 1", F/8.0, ISO 200, Tungsten

:eek: sorry for the chatter... but that is so friggin' awesome! I would Love to see some more of these and I will try one out myself today and post if it turns out well.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I'm going to join the fun!

Taken with a Minolta Dimage A2, just now, outside my apartment. Processed using the trial version of Photomatix (thus the watermarked final image).

library0005me3.jpg

Overexposed

library0002ge5.jpg

Underexposed

hdrapartmentxk0.jpg

HDR version

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
puckhead193 said:
I really like that, i love the sky and clouds :)

Thanks! I was reading the thread on HDR, looked outside and saw the nice sky, and went out with my camera to give it a try. I'm pretty happy with my first try, and how easy it was with the software.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
So here's try number two, from the same spot as my first post, but at night. I was hoping to get home in time to have some light left in the sky: maybe tomorrow :)

The longest exposure is 30 seconds, thus the noisy night sky. Shortest is 1/3 second.

I think I'm hooked on this!

library0010me0.jpg

Underexposed

library0006nb1.jpg

30 second exposure (I guess I need to get the bulb setting going on my Minolta here)

librarymappedef5.jpg

HDR version

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
here is one i made of my jade bonsai, neither the picture nor the bonsai are as impressive as others i have seen, but i will be shooting more with my new camera in the coming days. especially when i get my highspeed 1gig xd card, which should be here tomorrow. i just purchased a sp-500 uz (olympus)

AdamL

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2006
Wow those are some great pictures. I've long wanted to get into photography. Maybe someday when I have the money I will.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Wow, that is beautiful, gauchogolfer, with the clouds.

Maybe this will convince me to whip out my tripod again...

GreasyWeasel

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2006
UK
I've been hanging around for a while but these pictures made me want to sign up and show you my first HDR effort.
I don't have an SLR so I decided to have a go with my Sony P120. Three pictures taken at EV-2, EV 0 and EV+2.
FirstHDR.jpg

I haven't been able to get a good realistic look yet but I rather liked this effect I got with my first one.
Love your first pic spicyapple, the blue sky and bright lights look great.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
latergator116 said:
Great photos, Spicyapple, but what city is that? I was gonna guess maybe Vancouver, but I'm not sure. Thanks.

Looks like Vancouver to me too.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
how do you guy's make those HDR's? Did you all shell out the $100 for Photomatix or is there a cheaper tool out there?

I'm almost tempted to pay for photomatix. i'm just not sure if i have enough time to really do the shots and play with it. also there is almost no chance to do this with moving objects or people.

almightyshoe

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2006
B-Town, India
This thread has really got me interested in photography (keeping in mind I'm one of those morons who manage to cut off people's heads and my thumbs will will always somehow creep into the lensview). I can see that HDR is a post-photo process, but is this something that most digital cameras can do, or specifically those geared towards the "amatuer/pro/actual" photographer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.