Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Ohio, looking toward Germany
don't wanna waste words boring anyone with background, so here goes --

i want an external hard drive, 40 to 60 gigs small is fine. bigger okay, but not at the expense of too much money. usb okay, but prefer firewire. must work seamlessly with my imac g5. it will be for back up primarily, and am considering a raid solution. apple store is too expensive, and i keep hearing that externals are so price-competitive now. may i please have recommendations. thank you.

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
1. dont bother with 40-60gb hard drives. i think the prices are very good for 150-300gb hard drives right now.

2. if you are doing as a strict backup drive, a 8mb cache usb drive can be found very very cheap. if you are using it for more than backup, consider a 16mb cache fw400 drive.

3. decide if you are comfortable buying a drive and case seperately or want it already done. <it is very easy to do. i would say a 2 out of 10 with 10 being tough> just make sure to match drive and case (ide&ide, sata&sata, or pata&pata)

4. search the buying tips or hardware forum for external hard drive. you will find lots of recent articles with links to seperates or premade deals.

5. check newegg.com and outpost.com and maybe even circuitcity.com (if you are ok with rebates) for lots of hd options. Most here will recommend Seagate given their 5 year warranties.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I agree- go for a bigger size as you get more space/$.

Also, buy an internal 3.5'' drive and an enclosure- avoid buying pre-made units from companies like LaCie or Western Digital. It takes literally 5 minutes to put the drive in the enclosure, and saves you money.

Newegg usually has some good deals on internal drives, and with Labor Day right around the corner Circuit City, CompUSA, and Best Buy will probably be running deals as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.