Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Aug 21, 2006, 04:02 PM   #1
TheSalmonThief
macrumors newbie

Programming a Widget

I've had this marvelous idea to make a series of widgets that each feature classic video games... Super Mario Bros., Balloon Fight, etc. So you could just go play a round or two on the Dashboard when you're bored...

Problem is, I have no idea where to start. I have only basic programming skills. I imagine I would have to integrate a ROM into some Universal emulator, and then integrate that into a widget with a wall of code.

Someone point me in the right direction? >_>
TheSalmonThief is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:26 PM   #2
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Would be quite a lot of work, unless you coded the game in Flash and embeded the swf file. Other than that, ROMs are illegal to obtain unless you own the cartridge (or something like that) so you couldn't distribute it. You would be basically be distributing an emulator inside a widget, and I think most people are quite satisifed with SNES9X and ZNES, but if you think you can do it, go for it.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming