Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Is a customer expected to pay a tip when he/she picks up a take-out order at the restaurant? There are many restaurants which do the take-out order (customers call/stop by to place an order, and come back to pick up the take out order).

I think there should not be a tip because there is nothing to "tip" about (instead, the customer should get the discount because he/she is not occupying the table at the restaurant, not taking waitress's time, is not using their eating utensils, etc). But, when I pay with a credit card, there is the tip line on the receipt I need to sign (so, I am thinking the restaurant wants to get tips).

I only give tips when the receipeints deserve or erarn my tips.

Or, am I supposed to tip for a take out order?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It depends on the place...I don't usually tip for take out, but I will if it's a place I really like or they're particular nice/do something special for me. And even then, it's usually 5%, maybe 10% at the most.

It's certainly shouldn't be expected...the "tip" line on the credit card receipt is often there because they do have eat in customers who will be leaving tips...they don't customize their credit card receipts for take-out customers. :D (That and the fact that they wouldn't turn down a tip from you...they might as well have the line there in hopes that you'll feel obliged to put something there.)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Absolutely NOT.

This habit of establishments putting tip jars out for the most mundane service is getting a bit much.

No way.

Only if they bring me something, either via delivery or wait staff.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
They don't have seperate receipt forms for tip/non tip. It's just a format thing.

Honestly it depends where I am. I always tip a couple bucks to my local hamburger joint when I get take out there (usually Friday nights after work when I don't feel like cooking), but that's because I'm in there often enough that I get recognized and get faster service because the kid at the counter knows I'm gonna put a couple bucks in the tip jar.

Otherwise, my general rule-of-thumb with take-out places is I'll leave the change but keep the bills.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
YS2003 said:
But, when I pay with a credit card, there is the tip line on the receipt I need to sign (so, I am thinking the restaurant wants to get tips).

As far as I know, credit card machines are set up in a manner that results in a tip option on every transaction. There's no distiction made between carry-out or delivery orders.

I used to work at a Chinese restaurant, and none of us ever expected a tip for carry-out orders. The point of tipping is to show your appreciation for people who serve you while you sit on your arse. ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mactastic said:
Otherwise, my general rule-of-thumb with take-out places is I'll leave the change but keep the bills.
Well, that reminded me that I do tip at places like Dairy Queen, SBucks, etc., where I leave the change (and maybe a bit more at times), but I didn't think those places were being considered.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
iGary said:
Absolutely NOT.

This habit of establishments putting tip jars out for the most mundane service is getting a bit much.
No way.
Only if they bring me something, either via delivery or wait staff.

Your comment is exactly the same as my feeling/opinion on this. Even at Dunkin Donuts' cash register counter, they put that plastic jar for tipping. I never even put my penny in there. This whole siutation (ie. asking for tips for no particular reason whatsoever) cheapens the "tip culture" as a whole.

Speaking about that tip jar at the stores which should not be asking for tips to being with, I hope some customers start misunderstanding that tip jar and use it as the tip for himself (or use it toward their purchase). Then, I think it will stay way from the counter.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
mactastic said:
Honestly it depends where I am.

Agreed. We've gotten to know a few of the employees at a couple of places where we're quasi-regulars, and I don't mind tossing a dollar in the jar.

Even if the employee doesn't see the money and it goes to help keep the restaurant in buisness, I guess I don't mind.

I'm not a good enough consumer to save money, anyway.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
aquajet said:
As far as I know, credit card machines are set up in a manner that results in a tip option on every transaction. There's no distiction made between carry-out or delivery orders.

Some of those restaurants have the special counter for take out orders (separate from dine in customers). I know POS (point of sales) machine can be easily adjusted to take out that tip line from the receipt.

aquajet said:
I used to work at a Chinese restaurant, and none of us ever expected a tip for carry-out orders. The point of tipping is to show your appreciation for people who serve you while you sit on your arse. ;)
I agree with your take on this. Tip = Appreciation of service rendered to the customer by the service provider (which is to say the service provider earns/deserves the tips from the customer because of the good service).

But for take out orders, I just do not see any "service" other than the restaurant establishment makes the food for the customer (which is what the restaurant does as the basic minimum service), whcih calls for tipping.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
eva01 said:
Not even sushi, Gary?

No, not at our place. By the time we're done, our take out bill is at least $100.00. And Joseph, the sushi chef and owner drives a 911. I don't think he's hurting.

Now if I drink a sake while waiting, I will tip.

And obviously if we sit down and get waited on, we tip.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
YS2003 said:
I only give tips when the receipeints deserve or erarn my tips.

Or, am I supposed to tip for a take out order?

You're supposed to tip at restaurants that aren't really "take out" restaurants. Generally a hostess or cashier has to assemble your order and put it into disposable containers and bag it up -- that's what you're paying for.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
iGary said:
No, not at our place. By the time we're done, our take out bill is at least $100.00. And Joseph, the sushi chef and owner drives a 911. I don't think he's hurting.

Now if I drink a sake while waiting, I will tip.

And obviously if we sit down and get waited on, we tip.

Ah i see, I tip for the waitresses, they almost always give me a discount because I eat there once a week and they seem to love me because my bill is typically 50-150 dollars

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
savar said:
You're supposed to tip at restaurants that aren't really "take out" restaurants. Generally a hostess or cashier has to assemble your order and put it into disposable containers and bag it up -- that's what you're paying for.
The places I frequent serve it directly into take-out containers, meaning all the hostess does is put it in a bag... not worthy of a tip, IMHO.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
savar said:
I don't feel the same way as you do on this. I just cannot consisder "assemblying orders and putting them in the take out container" as additional service, which make me want to give tips. I just feel that is what the restaurant is supposed to do as the basic service.

Many established chain restaurant s(Fridays, Applebees, Rubies Tuesday, and etc) markets "take out" as their normal service. In my opinion, I don't want to pay tips for take out service for any restaurant which advertises "take out" service.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
I thought this is supposed to be the new free market world.How come a company has to rely on the generosity of it's punters to survive.It's not paying the staff enough or it is and wants more.Let them die if they're not economic others will replace them.Not that I believe in the "free market" but tipping is a idea I've never understood,essentially a subtle protection racket.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Peterkro said:
I thought this is supposed to be the new free market world.How come a company has to rely on the generosity of it's punters to survive.It's not paying the staff enough or it is and wants more.Let them die if they're not economic others will replace them.Not that I believe in the "free market" but tipping is a idea I've never understood,essentially a subtle protection racket.

ah so those waitresses or waiters that make only 2.15 an hour they should just die if they can't make enough money and no one tips them, right?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm also mostly in the only under special circumstances. I tip at my favorite coffee shop sometimes, but they recognize me and remember my order, so they deserve it. :) Otherwise I generally don't tip for food unless there is table service.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Peterkro said:
No they should be paid a decent wage and if the present companies go bust those that replace them will compete for Labour hence driving up wages.

Are there no minimum wage laws in the US?
There are, but there is usually an exemption for waitstaff (including bartenders) who earn tip income. Many, many restaurants could not survive if they had to pay their waitstaff minimum wage (currently $5.15/hr, unless local jurisdictions have raised it higher) versus the commonly-accepted waitstaff minimum wage of $2.13/hr. The deal, however, is that if tip income does not get them up to an average of $5.15/hr, the restaurant must pay them more to get them up to minimum wage.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Peterkro said:

I'm not certain about high-end restaurants, but most pay their servers less than minimum wage, usually around $2/hour. That's just the reality. If these restaurants paid their servers a decent wage, prices for food would increase. The difference is, in most cases, you have the option to pay less than the value of the goods and services you're purchasing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.