Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Synaptics ClearPad Technology

http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif

Synaptics has announced a concept phone based on new "ClearPad" technology.

ClearPad is a thin, high resolution capactitive touch screen that can be placed over any viewable surface. This allows for sensitive touch input over existing screen technology.

Quote:
ClearPad is based on Synaptics' proprietary sensing technology, and will offer unique capabilities such as two finger input, proximity sensing, text entry and high resolution finger input that can dramatically improve and enhance the user experience with a touch screen.
The technology is expected to be available for manufacturers by the end of the year.

This is interesting to Apple users due to the number of rumors and patents surrounding a full-screen touch-control video iPod. Specifically, there has been discussion about Multi-touch sensitive displays, use of Gestures, touch interface patents, and the touch screen video iPod rumors. These rumors have spawned many concept designs depicting the unreleased iPod. Apple has an existing relationship with Synaptics who provided click wheels for Apple's iPods.

MacRumors is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:02 PM   #2
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
Ooh, I hear yet more footsteps as the iPod and iPhone marches closer to us.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:04 PM   #3
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
Quote:
Originally Posted by getBytesLoaded
Finally, some real news. Anyone else notice that the rumor sites have been dry lately?
I have a feeling the will get a lot juicier soon. We're hopefully in for a few months of big Apple announcements and upgrades.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:06 PM   #4
freeny
macrumors 68020

Not a bad looking phone, looks big
freeny is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:08 PM   #5
getBytesLoaded
macrumors newbie

You Betcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_hill4
I have a feeling the will get a lot juicier soon. We're hopefully in for a few months of big Apple announcements and upgrades.
Let's hope so -- I've been resisting the temptation to buy a new cell contract all year.
getBytesLoaded is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:09 PM   #6
storage
macrumors 6502

I can't stand this anymore . I'm in the market for a new computer (be it a notebook or a desktop), a new mediaplayer and a new cellphone.

Can't wait!
storage is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:13 PM   #7
dizastor
macrumors 6502a

ClearPad Technology sounds like either an acne or feminine hygiene product.

That being said. The onyx concept phone looks too big for normal use, unless that use is to club someone over the head.
dizastor is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:14 PM   #8
zap2
macrumors 604

This is gold, by the end of this year Apple could have it... MWSF '07.. Touch Screen iPods, iPhone ,iTMS with feature films, with some fance new intel chip...

And before that Merom MacBook and MacBook Pro, Conroe iMac and a new iPod nano....

Happy times

Also my phone plan is...i'm waiting for an iPhone, because after playing with the razr and Chocolate at the verizon store... they UI sucks. I was very disappointer with possible phones updates, when Apple makes a Phone, i'll swicth over to who ever the give the phone to.

Last edited by zap2; Aug 22, 2006 at 02:33 PM.
zap2 is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:14 PM   #9
Tommyg117
macrumors 6502a

i think that's a pretty sleek looking phone! I'd get one if it were verizon
Tommyg117 is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:20 PM   #10
narco
macrumors 65816

Doubtful that an iPhone will go with Sprint, but at least I can hope for higher capacity iPods to fit all those videos -- right? RIGHT?

Fishes,
narco.
narco is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:24 PM   #11
nsjoker
macrumors regular

isn't this just touch screen technology that we've had for years.. but only on the outside now?? seems like a breakthrough, but not really.
nsjoker is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:26 PM   #12
Catt
macrumors member

I have something very similar on my 3 year laptop - called a Synaptics cPad.

Its basically a touchpad over an LCD screen, you can programme it to launch new applications, write notes on it, use at as a touch sensitive calculater etc:

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.c...000e89cPAD_123

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.c...000e75cPAD_123

Picture:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2003/0..._go/page7.html

This new piece of kit is obviously more advanced, second or third generation. But I find the cPad on my laptop really very useful.

For a laptop this kind of technology is very useful, having a programmable LCD screen for mouse movement but that can also run programmes. In a phone I am more sceptical because I personally need tactile feedback when using buttons.
Catt is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:29 PM   #13
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

*sniff*....that smell.....is that the smell of....progress?
Stridder44 is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:34 PM   #14
lazyrighteye
macrumors 65816

Calm Before the Storm?

Quote:
Finally, some real news. Anyone else notice that the rumor sites have been dry lately?
Yep. And (as stated yesterday) this all feels like the calm before the storm (to me).
With the influx of new cell phones and mp3 players flooding the market (most claiming to be legit iPod killers), I can't help but think Apple's about ready to drop the BOMB on us all - making the before mentioned offerings already seem dated.
lazyrighteye is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:34 PM   #15
lazyrighteye
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Let's hope so -- I've been resisting the temptation to buy a new cell contract all year.
Out of curiosity, exactly who & what is tempting you??
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:41 PM   #16
getBytesLoaded
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrighteye
Out of curiosity, exactly who & what is tempting you??
The added tax of paying for my plan without a contract, and my crappy phone.
getBytesLoaded is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:42 PM   #17
fenixx
macrumors regular

I can taste it...
This was awesome news.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:55 PM   #18
Core Trio
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Core Trio
its really great how all those touch screen ipod rumors that hardly anyone thought was true at first continues to make more and more sense with each news bit of new technology that will make it happen. I hope this comes out soon, my 4G monochrome ipod is dying a slow, but painful, death.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 03:05 PM   #19
lazyrighteye
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The added tax of paying for my plan without a contract, and my crappy phone.
Hehe, I see.
Sux...
Old Aug 22, 2006, 03:10 PM   #20
Irisharehere
macrumors newbie

Come on Steve....

PUSH!!! Come on, deep breath, PUUUUSH!!!!!!

Irisharehere is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 03:11 PM   #21
andrew050703
macrumors regular

So touchscreen technology we've seen for years? i hope it smudges/scratches less than my xda, but i'll definately get an iphone if it comes to UK contract services. whatever they churn out, it'll kill the zune hands down
Old Aug 22, 2006, 03:21 PM   #22
brepublican
macrumors 6502a

The idea is good, but to do it justice, you need Apple to step in. Their concept phone leaves much to be desired. Still, its a great concept, and Apple, here's you cue
"I've got some eggs here. the powerbook is in the car. i was going to make an omelet on my way home."
brepublican is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 03:28 PM   #23
@win
macrumors newbie

Strange; this revelation. If Apple is doing business on this with Synaptics I'm surprised that the latter are showing a concept phone with touchscreen and music player functionality. Apple would like to surprise people by introducing something with these features with a bang. So Apple wouldn't like this. Or maybe it's got something to do with negotiations going on in the background and Synaptics wants to tease, please or punish Apple for not using their technology? There was a rumor before that this kind of iPod would be almost ready but that Apple wasn't satisfied with the quality of the touch screen and therefore had to look for another technology or manufacturer. And how can this screen use two finger input and proximity sensing in an interface if Apple has got this patented? Questions, questions!
@win is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2006, 03:32 PM   #24
morespce54
macrumors 65816

No new iPod 'till 07 ???

So that could mean no 6G until 2007 ???
Old Aug 22, 2006, 03:43 PM   #25
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Looks like something off of Star Trek: The Next Generation!

PADDs, here we come!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)