Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Anyone still get floppy disks from clients? Look what reared it's ugly head for me today...

Attachments

• Photo 20.jpg
    Photo 20.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 199

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've had the odd ZIP disk, but I've not had a floppy disk since about '96 maybe '97 when email really killed them off.

Your client's not a retirement home or anything is it???

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
iGav said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've had the odd ZIP disk, but I've not had a floppy disk since about '96 maybe '97 when email really killed them off.

Your client's not a retirement home or anything is it???

We regularly use Zip Disks :p

The client's just someone who demands bullet points in the form of hands pointing :rolleyes: so it's understandable that she'd give me a floppy.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
7on said:
We regularly use Zip Disks :p

I just got rid of a couple of hundred of them earlier this year... I don't think I've used them since 2001, each and everyone was like a timecapsule. :p

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
tobefirst said:
We get the occasional query about bringing down a floppy, but since it's an all-Mac office, we have no way to read them. Shame, too. :)

there are still USB floppy drives out there if its needed. but i'd think they're rather hard to find these days. ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I still have a bunch of brand new floppy discs lying around somewhere. I'll just hold onto them for a couple more decades until they're worth MILLIONS... :D ;)

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
PC users will never give up their floppies, it's like some unspoken code of honor or something. I still get the things from customers at my work too. I get more floppies than Zip disks these days. Floppies and those god-awful square business card CDs should all be burned in a mass public bonfire. Of course that could just cause mass rioting across the country from all the Windows 98 diehard users.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You can buy used/discontinued USB Imation SuperDisk drives for a couple of bucks each all day long on eBay. They read floppies and the SuperDisk (120 Mb) format, if you can find them.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
IJ Reilly said:
You can buy used/discontinued USB Imation SuperDisk drives for a couple of bucks each all day long on eBay. They read floppies and the SuperDisk (120 Mb) format, if you can find them.

I have a Superdisk drive connected to the PM G5 here at work.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
LOL, haven't used those in 10 years. My clients are more likely to send harddrives than a floppy.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
Ugh the school I left last year pretty much depended on them. We were expected to save our data on them, rather than the 4 or so GB hard drives on the 100Mhz 128MB RAM Win 95 Seanix boxes. Eew.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
My school currently has a "no flash drive" rule. They worry about getting malware on the ALL windows 98/XP network. I believe they will be permitted this year, though. I don't understand how students can use CDs/floppys but not flash drives. Either way, the cd/floppy/flash drive has to be scanned first by the "tech" guy who teaches keyboarding that I probably no more than. :eek:

Edit: After re-reading the thread, im not sure how well my post fits in. Sorry, its late.:(

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Where I work we've just sent out 100 floppy disks with stat data on. But then I do work for a "behind the times" employer!

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
IJ Reilly said:

They're bloody unreliable though. There were several of them in the possession of members of my family; none would write or read reliably from the 120MB iMation disks. Not a reliable format at all, from my experience. Bring back Syquest cartridges. They were the business.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Dunepilot said:
Bring back Syquest cartridges. They were the business.
Word. I have files that have followed me along this path over many years:

5.25" floppy disk -> 3.5" floppy disk -> SyQuest 200 cartridge/10mb -> SyQuest 400 cartridge/44MB ->SyQuest 800 cartridge/88MB -> 100 MB Zip Disk -> 1 GB Jaz Disk -> 650 MB CD-ROM -> 4.7 GB DVD-R. All files are also live on multiple external hard drives.

Out of all of those, other than CD/DVD I think that the SyQuest was the most durable/stable media. I could throw them in my backpack, bang 'em around and they would still faithfully read/write.

That said, I haven't received a floppy, Zip, or Jaz from a client in about 4-5 years. It's all FTP, CD or DVD these days.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
ATD said:
My clients are more likely to send harddrives than a floppy.

hahahahahaha that's exactly what they send me, though unfortunately they always want them back... unlike ZIP's etc etc. that I always used to keep. :( :D :p

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Dunepilot said:
They're bloody unreliable though. There were several of them in the possession of members of my family; none would write or read reliably from the 120MB iMation disks. Not a reliable format at all, from my experience.

I never used mine much, but never had a problem with them either. Lucky, maybe.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
iGav said:
hahahahahaha that's exactly what they send me, though unfortunately they always want them back... unlike ZIP's etc etc. that I always used to keep. :( :D :p

So you are the guy that's got all my Zips. :rolleyes: ;)

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Well I get to recreate a brochure that was lost in a computer HDD crash at the beginning of summer. fun fun fun.

I was looking through the backups and am still astonished that we keep the Jaz and SyQuest disks yet lack drives to run them...

Oh yeah, our depart. has backups on ZIP disks... Though fortunately they've listened to me and put in a request for an xserve.

If you guys want nostalgia - We still output to film. mmmmm, Lino 560

Attachments

• Photo 21.jpg
    Photo 21.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Photo 22.jpg
    Photo 22.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 115

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
BTW, what is everyone using for backup? I was using DVDs but the amount of content on my drives has exploded over the last few years. I'm running up about a TB a year, so until the BluRays come out, I'm buying hard drives. I was using tape drives (Dat) in the past but I don't like them at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.