Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Help/Tips

Old Mar 22, 2003, 10:30 AM   #1
shakespeare
macrumors 6502

Exclamation I can't drag items!!

As of this morning, I have the strangest problem I have ever had with my Mac.

The problem is that I can't drag items. I can drag windows to move and resize them, I can drag scrollbar widgets to scroll, and I can click and drag to draw in Photoshop &c, but I cannot drag items. For instance, I cannot move files in the Finder, I cannot drag messages to move them to other mailboxes in Mail, I cannot drag songs to playlists in iTunes, I cannot drag links on pages in Safari (although I can drag bookmark bar items to move them), I cannot drag selected words inside TextEdit, and I cannot drag files to my FTP server in GoLive. When I try to drag, the system doesn't respond. Nothing freezes; the items just sit right where they are as if I weren't touching them.

It is not a hardware problem; such dragging works neither with my trackpad nor my Apple Pro Mouse. Nor does my system need a restart; a restart did me no good.

My system was working normally until the problem quietly and suddenly began about a half hour ago.

I am using a PowerBook G4 400/512 and OS X 10.2.4.

What in hell is going on?

Last edited by shakespeare; Mar 22, 2003 at 10:33 AM.
shakespeare is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2003, 10:35 AM   #2
shakespeare
macrumors 6502

Additionally, I have just discovered another aspect of it: if I command-click Menu Bar Items (with the intent of moving them), they immediately "poof" into oblivion as if I had dragged them off the bar and let go. Then, all the Menu Bar Items disappear and restart themselves after a few seconds.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 10:50 AM   #3
jethroted
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jethroted
Time to reinstal the os my friend.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 10:52 AM   #4
Wes
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to Wes Send a message via AIM to Wes Send a message via MSN to Wes Send a message via Yahoo to Wes
Before you reinstall repair permissions.
Wes is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2003, 10:54 AM   #5
shakespeare
macrumors 6502

Yeah, I figured I'd have to reinstall. I already tried repairing permissions, it didn't do anything. I'm backing my disk up to my external firewire now.

Damn damn damn. And this is weekly crunch time for one of the magazines I design.

Well, while it installs, I can take a well-earned break, I suppose.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 11:04 AM   #6
Stike
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to Stike Send a message via AIM to Stike
Re: I can't drag items!!

Quote:
Originally posted by shakespeare
As of this morning, I have the strangest problem I have ever had with my Mac.
Sometimes, I also had this problem. Happened only two or three times. I was able to solve it by restarting the Finder, or logging out and back in again. Happened in 10.2.3... in .4 never...

Don´t know why this happened. It could be that I was using some dumb beta software or badly written piece of crap at that moment.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 11:36 AM   #7
sparkleytone
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to sparkleytone
yup, i had this same problem. i was able to fix it temporarily many times, but it would always return quickly.

the real fix...reinstall the OS. that's what I had to do. sorry bud.
sparkleytone is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2003, 11:53 AM   #8
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to bennetsaysargh
i've had this prooblem quite a few times, and what did it for me was just a restart. i dunno what os your using, but this only happened to me in 10.2.3 and not yet at all in 10.2.4.
bennetsaysargh is offline   0
Old Mar 23, 2003, 03:32 PM   #9
shakespeare
macrumors 6502

I reinstalled and all is again well. What a lousy, annoying problem.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 03:48 PM   #10
cubist
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to cubist
I suspect what happened was that the keyboard driver missed a key-up signal from a control, shift or command key. When the clicking acts weird like this, press and release each shift, control and command key.

N.B. I've never had this happen on a Mac, but it happens frequently on Windows systems.
cubist is offline   0
Old Mar 23, 2003, 03:51 PM   #11
shakespeare
macrumors 6502

It's interesting you think it could have to do with the keyboard; I had recently started using an Icelandic keyboard layout preference. I wonder if something got messed up in the switch.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 05:24 PM   #12
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to bennetsaysargh
Talking

well at least you found out faster than me.
bennetsaysargh is offline   0
Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:44 PM   #13
yzedf
Banned

Send a message via AIM to yzedf
Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
N.B. I've never had this happen on a Mac, but it happens frequently on Windows systems.
I have never heard of this; Mac, Windows or Linux. You know what that means (I get to see it soon for myself )
yzedf is offline   0
Old Mar 23, 2003, 11:15 PM   #14
benixau
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to benixau
hmmmm - i hope this never happens to me. i brag about how simple the mac is to use because it is so drag-drop centric.

like - "to create a DVD drag movies into iDVD. Insert DVD-R (2x/4x depending on Superdrive) and click burn twice. Wait for about time of DVD + 15mins (not inc. encoding time) and vòila - DVD for general use. menus aswell.

Drag drop is esssential in the mac. that must have sucked. as for what cubist said - sounds like the reset combinations for console (Xbox, PS2, NGC, N64) controllers
Old Mar 23, 2003, 11:20 PM   #15
shakespeare
macrumors 6502

I am especially concerned about this bug because I now think it may have had something to do with the Icelandic keyboard layout. This concerns me because, although I speak English very well and although I am very much a member of the modern world, I am concerned when I find that Icelandic is spoken by so few. I don't want an Íslenska-specific bug! I don't want to be ignored because I'm in the minority! I don't want Icelandic to die!
Old Mar 24, 2003, 04:48 PM   #16
steeleclipse
macrumors 6502

see... i told you 10.2.4 is evil!!!

steeleclipse is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Help/Tips