Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
HELP!

My iMac G5 RevB (full spec in signature) just cut out, i thought it was a power cut at first but its not now it wont start,
it gets half way though the chime and cuts out completely.

I've tried resetting the SMU and no change i cant reset the PRAM because it cant even make a whole chime now.

Ive had a look inside, no weird smells or nothing other noticably wrong, no new ram has been added (Still the stock 512mb)

also no apple care and the closest apple store is the london one. so i dont want to have to take it there and spend a fortune on a new psu or something until i know whats wrong.

Any ideas????? anyone?

i'm stuck on my G3 Clamshell now ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
N10248 said:
HELP!

My iMac G5 RevB (full spec in signature) just cut out, i thought it was a power cut at first but its not now it wont start,
it gets half way though the chime and cuts out completely.

I've tried resetting the SMU and no change i cant reset the PRAM because it cant even make a whole chime now.

Ive had a look inside, no weird smells or nothing other noticably wrong, no new ram has been added (Still the stock 512mb)

also no apple care and the closest apple store is the london one. so i dont want to have to take it there and spend a fortune on a new psu or something until i know whats wrong.

Any ideas????? anyone?

i'm stuck on my G3 Clamshell now ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

I had the same problem. Replaced the PSU and it works fine now (since January).

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Take the back cover off and locate the internal power switch (look for a big white arrow) and the four diagnostic LEDs. Press the button and see which LEDs light up... this should give you some indication as to whether the problem is the power supply or logic board etc.

LED 1 indicates that trickle voltage from the power supply has been detected. This LED will be ON when the computer is turned off and your power supply is working correctly.

LED 2 indicates that the main logic board has detected proper power from the power supply when the computer is turned on. This LED will be ON when the computer is turned on and the power supply is working correctly.

LED 3 indicates that the computer and the LCD display are communicating. This LED will be ON when the computer is turned on and video signal is being generated.

LED 4 lights only if the computer detects an over-temperature condition. This LED will be OFF when the computer is turned on and running at the correct temperature.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
ive took the back off the 1st LED is on as soon as the main power is on, i press the internal power button and the motors start and the second light comes on it gets to the chime and then turns off,

the screen would kick in a few seconds later and it has managed to get the grey apple logo up a couple of times so i think the screen is ok

HERE is a video i took with my phone to show what happens.

so far according to some posts on the apple suport site it seems it is the psu, but the fact that it is starting at all means it hasnt burnt out or something.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
N10248 said:
ive took the back off the 1st LED is on as soon as the main power is on, i press the internal power button and the motors start and the second light comes on it gets to the chime and then turns off,

the screen would kick in a few seconds later and it has managed to get the grey apple logo up a couple of times so i think the screen is ok

HERE is a video i took with my phone to show what happens.

so far according to some posts on the apple suport site it seems it is the psu, but the fact that it is starting at all means it hasnt burnt out or something.

Hmmm, yours gets further than my broken iMac G5 (also a Rev B) then.

Mine crapped out over 2 months ago now, I just haven't found time to take it in for repair.

Here's the video I posted of mine. There's a funny squeaking sound coming from that second LED which just occasionally flashes when the power supply is connected. Mine doesn't start up at all.

Have you checked your original purchase date? The Rev Bs came out around mid-2005 so you might find you've still got a few days of warranty left if you're lucky. Hope you manage to get it repaired.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
dietcokevanilla said:
Hmmm, yours gets further than my broken iMac G5 (also a Rev B) then.

Mine crapped out over 2 months ago now, I just haven't found time to take it in for repair.

Here's the video I posted of mine. There's a funny squeaking sound coming from that second LED which just occasionally flashes when the power supply is connected. Mine doesn't start up at all.

Have you checked your original purchase date? The Rev Bs came out around mid-2005 so you might find you've still got a few days of warranty left if you're lucky. Hope you manage to get it repaired.

it was ordered about a week after it was anounced, ive even found a post on these forums confirming i owned one over a year ago so no chance on the apple care - cant be bothered to look for the receipt.

any ideas on how much a new PSU wil cost? and where to go to get it - theres a small apple repair place a few miles away from me in witham, essex (Computer Technique) so ill give them a try later.

or can these parts be ordered from the apple store by part number etc?

one last thing - anyone know how i can speed my clamshell up to 2ghz and make 128mb ram feel like 512? :)

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
YAY

got the new PSU today and its working, i did notice the replacement unit had no light sensor on it so i had to break the one off the old one and attach it, but its working and so far so good.

bye

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.