Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Aug 24, 2006, 03:53 PM   #1
tupa01
macrumors newbie

newbie help string parsing

hi,
I just started learning Applescript. I would like to know if there is a good tutorial site for me to get going.

My goal is to download a set of text files using ftp, convert them into a new readable format and upload it to filemaker.

Original file:
ADMI201 2A L14451730 -T-----0SH 407 0006100110
The strings are in a lenght delimited format, I would like to chop them and replace it with a tab. The final product should look like this:

ADMI201 2A 1445 1730 -T----- S H 407 61 110

My questions are:
Once I ftp and get the files, how do I open them one by one with applescript to parce it if the names are dynamic with a prefix let say filenumber###.txt (i.e. file1002.txt and file1003.txt)?

do i need a text editor such as BBedit to parse the file or I could do that inside applescript?

What will be the command to select let say the 10th character from the left, replace it with a "tab" and go to the next 5 character, replace it with tab and finally go to the next line? Something like the LEFT(); function.

Thanks in advance.

tupa
tupa01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming