Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Aug 24, 2006, 04:52 PM   #1
gamestriker
macrumors regular

Line-in is not a Microphone Jack

In short, I pwned myself.

I bought a Sennheiser PC30 Headset to use with my PowerBook. It turns out that the microphone doesn't work because it uses a standard microphone plug and my PowerBook has a line in jack (which isn't the same thing, as I had previously thought). After doing some searching through their FAQ, the solution they gave me was to either buy their mac one (for $120...I refuse to pay more than $50 for a simple headset), buy a PC USB headset, or buy an iMic universal adapter.

The easiest solution for me would be to buy an adapter but the iMic is $40; in other words, way too expensive. Does anyone know a less expensive alternative?

If not, can I get some tips on how to return products bought from NewEgg? I heard they are a pain in the butt regarding returns. Can I also get other recommendations for possible alternatives to this headset should I have/manage to return it?

I appreciate the help.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 05:02 PM   #2
tipdrill407
macrumors 6502

I don't know what you want to use the microphone for but if you just want to record your own voice or something you can plug the mic into the line in, open up sound studio and change the input to line in.
tipdrill407 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 05:05 PM   #3
Super Macho Man
macrumors 6502a

You just need some sort of mic preamp - someting to convert a mic level signal into line level. The iMic is one of many products that achieve this. Try Radio Shack.
Super Macho Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 05:05 PM   #4
Super Macho Man
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipdrill407
I don't know what you want to use the microphone for but if you just want to record your own voice or something you can plug the mic into the line in, open up sound studio and change the input to line in.
That won't work well, it will be super quiet because the mic output is at mic level, not line level.
Super Macho Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:01 AM   #5
Isaacsheff
macrumors newbie

I may have a free answer

this freeware http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/ looks like it should do what you need.
Isaacsheff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 01:29 PM   #6
G4Guy
macrumors newbie

Mac PowerBook Mic Line-in jack

That port is for high-end recording. It will not work unless you have a powered microphone connected to it. I had to figure this out on my own as well. I purchased the proper mic adapter from www.maccomputersupply.com (you can get it from other sites as well. I know that www.mac.com does not have that type. You have to purchase some sort of adapter and what not. What i use now is a USB microphone from the site i listed above. Also you can use a Blue tooth headset (used to use it that way with my Vonage software phone on the Powerbook) You can also go to radio shack, and pick up a battery operated mic with the correct jack for about 20 bucks. In case I did not clarify. The mic needs to be amplified, like with a battery inline or powerd. That is why i got the one from that site, the USB one I mean. I hope this helps.
G4Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 01:38 PM   #7
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

If you can take the Sennheisers back for exchange, then get a USB headset - problems solved without extra hardware.

Isaac, tipdrill: No, you haven't understood the issue. The microphone does not produce sufficient signal level to drive the LINE input of the computer. As the OP posted, mic level < line level. It's a voltage deficiency problem, not a software problem.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice