Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Addo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I know that in quite a few posts Crucial RAM come in for a fair bit of flak over their pricing. I don't know if it's been posted before ( I haven't searched so I apologise) but currently they have a 5% off sale - that's 5% off, it would seem, their entire product range.

After a bit of searching on hotukdeals.co.uk I found a promo code "PRINTPROMO" which gives an additional 5% off this is entered during the checkout procedure.

Now, I'm a member at quidco.com which gives you cashback from various online retailers - of which Crucial is one of them as well as the Applestore. If you have registered at Quidco you can get 7% off at Crucial ( also 3% at the Applestore)

So, in a nutshell, after clicking the link for Crucial on Quidco.com you'll get redirected to Crucial and should land on their 5% Sale page. Select the RAM you want, checkout and enter 'PRINTPROMO' in the box on the right hand side of the page and finish the order as per usual... That's it you've saved about 16%!

Some, if not all of these discounts I believe are calculated ex VAT and are incremental so that's why you aren't actually saving the full 17%. Also the Quidco cash back is not instant - Quidco pay you at a later date and sometimes the transaction doesn't get tracked correctly ( I've had no problems but it's best to be fully aware! )

I've just received 2Gb for my Macbook and I've just paid out £131 and I still have the Quidco cashback so that should ( in theory ) leave me having paid £118 for 2GB. Not bad I think! :)

Obviously this only applies to UK people...... And I don't know when Crucial will end their sale

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
Thanks for your info, did exactly that and got my 512 stick for my iBook for £40. The 7% saving is heading into my gfriends quidco account so when/if I ever receive my saving from her that will be about £37 - not bad for Crucial.

PS. What happened to summer?

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
I followed this method for 2GB of Macbook RAM yet mine comes to £142.09 :confused:

have I missed something?

1 CT541627 £127.29
Subtotal £127.29
Sale savings
-£6.70
Coupon Savings
-£6.36
Estimated Shipping £0.00
VAT calculated at 17.5% for United Kingdom: £21.16
Estimated Total £142.09

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
maddav said:
I followed this method for 2GB of Macbook RAM yet mine comes to £142.09 :confused:

have I missed something?

1 CT541627 £127.29
Subtotal £127.29
Sale savings
-£6.70
Coupon Savings
-£6.36
Estimated Shipping £0.00
VAT calculated at 17.5% for United Kingdom: £21.16
Estimated Total £142.09

Crucial are VERY naughty people.

They use dynamic pricing.(this has been documented on this forum before.) which simply means that when you go on the website, the site takes a good look at your cookies and where abouts you have been, and been buying stuff from.

If you have bought stuff from dabs and amazon etc. they will give you a lower price, as they know you shop around etc. But if you have a cookie blocker or have little or no cookies, then they will display the full price.

If you are getting a price less than £142, block all cookies temporarily, and try again, you will be amazed that the same products price skyrockets up!

Tut..tut...

Dan :)

Addo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I've just looked and got the same price...If you followed the link from Quidco then the 7% cashback won't be shown on the Crucial order it is completely seperate.

The only difference for me with the price on Crucial is that I'm over in Barcelona at the moment using a different ISP ...And I used this macbook to place my original order and I haven't emptied or cleared out my cookies.....

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
That is very naughty, oh well I'll try on a couple of other computers and see if I can get a lower price (my brother buys a lot of PC components so that could prove beneficial :))

If not, it's still about £20 off at the checkout which I'm very thankful for :)

Jeewhizz

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
London, UK
danielbriggs said:
If you have bought stuff from dabs and amazon etc. they will give you a lower price, as they know you shop around etc. But if you have a cookie blocker or have little or no cookies, then they will display the full price.

Crucial cannot read your cookies from another domain (dabs.com amazon.co.uk etc)

It's impossible without a browser hack.

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
Jeewhizz said:
Crucial cannot read your cookies from another domain (dabs.com amazon.co.uk etc)

It's impossible without a browser hack.

I thought the same too, but it actually happens. Block cookies and try again.
It might be that activeX mem advisor tool, but it DOES do it.

Dan :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.