Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
I have just been modifying my app icons and eventually worked out a theme which I think works well for the dock and navigating, but it highlighted a lot of confusion in the integrated Apple package - a bit of an identity crisis. Navigating through OSX you have colourful icons on a crisp display, whereas logging into iTunes, Safari, iCal and others via the Aqua icons, the livery changes. Admittedly the displays are crisp but heavy metallic doesnt seem consistent.

Dont get me wrong, in my artistic opinion the metallic look is more than acceptable but only because the layout of the toolbars is so clever and way ahead of Windoze. But the Aqua look knocks the metal into a cocked hat and I would have thought Apple with so much invested in the OSX for the next decade would be more strict with a consistent Aqua interface. Or am I missing the point somewhere?

For what its worth my corporate icon image is bright buttons collected from Glass ball, Triple x Jag apps and similar collections from Xicon.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
I think the brushed metal is more of an option for developers that believe aqua makes their professional apps look really odd. I personally like it on many of my apps, but aqua is still default. I forsee the metal look being a theme option in the future, but not replace aqua.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I figure Apple is just making me suffer a little bit, so I'll like Aqua better when it comes out full force. It's kind of like how they gave me 10.24 before it was complete so that I would want 10.3 that much more.

Dan

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i think that the apps that should be in aqua are mail, adress book, and iChat. (communications)
iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, and iPhoto should be metal. (iLife)
and the other apps like iCal and iSync and safari should be either.
Another good way to avoid any disapointment is metalizer. it needs application enhancer, and it can change the look of any cocoa app to aqua, or metal. best solution.
apple should do that right from the start in most apps.
just don't let it get too windowsish and make skins. EWWW!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.