Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 27, 2006, 01:26 PM   #1
iGav
macrumors G3

Top Gun Homosexuality

Quentin Tarentino explains how "Top Gun" is really about a man's struggle with his own homosexuality.

Quote:
They're like this gay, ********* fighting force

You can be my wingman

Note: Contains serious amounts of profanity.
iGav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 01:33 PM   #2
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
Yeah, I've seen this before, it's pretty funny. One of my friends actually analyzed Top Gun in one of his film school classes and the same discussions were brought up.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 01:43 PM   #3
iGary

I loves me some Quentin Tarentino.
iGary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:16 PM   #4
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Tom Cruise even comes across as being gay in his more manly movies. The only way it could get more gay is if they started slapping each other's asses in the shower, which may have actually happened in the movie. Haven't seen it in awhile.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:03 AM   #5
imnotatfault
macrumors regular

can anyone say greased up volleyball@!?
imnotatfault is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 04:56 PM   #6
h?
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to h?
Haha, Top Gun is on Sky Two at the moment. Who else is watching it??
Old Oct 13, 2006, 05:00 PM   #7
KingYaba
macrumors 68040

That was a messed up video.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 06:17 PM   #8
jamone80
macrumors regular

i love tarentino. if you guys keep up with his movies, you'll notice that he always does some kind of analysis of pop cuture figures, icons etc. And they're pretty intuitive too. some examples;

Pulp Fiction: Quarter-pound burgers
Reservoir Dogs: Madonna's "Like a Virgin"
Kill Bill: Superman vs. Clark Kent

yeah, i'm definately a fan.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 06:47 PM   #9
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotatfault
can anyone say greased up volleyball@!?
I never figured out why that got into the movie. Maybe, it just wasn't interesting enough with only shower scenes.

This video does bring up some interesting points. I always wondered why Kelly McGillis dressed down in only one scene. She didn't even seem incredibly important in the storyline but seemed to be added on when the movie was judged to be too manly.
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:03 PM   #10
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quentin Tarentino is an utterly talentless hack who thinks that adding a lot of violence and brutality to a movie makes it deep. I absolutely cannot understand why anyone thinks this guy has anything meaningful to say (about Top Gun or in general).
Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:44 PM   #11
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352
Quentin Tarentino is an utterly talentless hack who thinks that adding a lot of violence and brutality to a movie makes it deep. I absolutely cannot understand why anyone thinks this guy has anything meaningful to say (about Top Gun or in general).

well, he makes movies, and you don't.
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:52 PM   #12
Stampyhead
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yeah, I don't care for his movies at all either.
Stampyhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:56 PM   #13
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant
I wouldn't call that a good argument. There are a lot of people who aren't all that talented making movies and most of them have more fans than Tarentino.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, eh?
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 08:06 PM   #14
aloofman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Michael Bay and Tony Scott make movies too, but they don't have anything to tell us. The fact that someone makes feature films that we can see is only a sign that someone out there thought they could make money from releasing it.

Although I've liked most of Tarantino's movies, I don't think it's because he has much to say. Most of his entertainment is in references to pop culture, especially violence, movies, and other entertainment. He's not telling us much about the nature of man or anything deep like that, but then again, few people are.
aloofman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 08:15 PM   #15
it5five
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Agreed.

My major is Film Production, and it's a shame being in classes with other people who think Tarantino is the greatest person to ever make films. I suppose it benefits me, because these people want to make student films filled with violence/drugs, and I know some of the professors hate cliche student films like that.
it5five is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 01:08 AM   #16
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousozoku
I wouldn't call that a good argument. There are a lot of people who aren't all that talented making movies and most of them have more fans than Tarentino.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, eh?

you know you cant just go a make a movie and have it be good or even coherent. Directing a movie is a grueling process, and in the end having something that resembles art is an achievement. Talent or not, just to finish 120 minute film is no easy task.

He may not be my favorite director but whether we like it or not, QT will go down in film history as a genre breaking/defining director.

I'm just saying you have to give the guy his props.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 01:10 AM   #17
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by it5five
Agreed.

My major is Film Production, and it's a shame being in classes with other people who think Tarantino is the greatest person to ever make films. I suppose it benefits me, because these people want to make student films filled with violence/drugs, and I know some of the professors hate cliche student films like that.

i think cliche is the point. its about pushing the cliche to where it becomes more than cliche. synergy.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 01:56 AM   #18
MrSmith
macrumors 68040

Top Gun had its day. Since the 80s there has been a gradual move towards reality and away from fantasy. Away from escapism. (Good example: last night I watched Christian Slater and the adorable Selma Blair in The Deal .) But escapism is the whole reason I watch a movie. I get reality every day. Top Gun will have its day again, I reckon, when things go full circle.

As for QT, well, he has a thread all about him on MR. Why? Because the guy stands out. Like him or loathe him, he's original, he's known, his movies are different, and therefore I would say he's qualified to be called successful. As for his movies, they're a bit of a guilty pleasure for me: I enjoyed most of them, but there shouldn't be (such realistic) violence on the screen IMHO.

Ernest Dowson
MrSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 02:00 AM   #19
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
He may not be my favorite director but whether we like it or not, QT will go down in film history as a genre breaking/defining director.

Nah, he was too focused on gratuitous violence to ever be a great film maker, he's definitely a part of the 90s but not someone who broke any new ground.
Ugg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 02:31 AM   #20
Mav451
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at that. I loved Pulp Fiction, but I'm lukewarm about his Kill Bill series. IMO, he hasn't evolved much and to say he's ground breaking? I dunno. He's good...but I would hesitate greatly to say he's defining or ground-breaking.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:21 AM   #21
Black&Tan
macrumors 6502a

I remember seeing an interview on the BBC shortly after Reservoir Dogs came out, so that was about '93. He came across as a pompous ass....it didn't help that I wasn't nuts about his movie either. I think it was in a roundtable forum, but the memory is pretty vague other than I disliked him immediately.
Black&Tan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:57 AM   #22
mdntcallr
macrumors 65816

he is histerical.

QT is really the guy who loves movies and comes up with tons of theories like that. Hell is thoughts on Top Gun are very valid. funny video.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:45 PM   #23
hulugu
macrumors 68000

What's interesting about QT is how little attention is paid to Jackie Brown, which I think is a wonderful display of characterization and dialogue, especially in the scenes between Pam Grier and Robert Forster.

Even Kill Bill, especially the later moments, has a complex sense of tension, grief, and relief. The best scenes of Kill Bill are when the action slows, when Lucy Liu's character realizes she's met her match, and the camera pans wide and shows the water fountain move setting the timing of the final battle, or when Bill espouses his Clark Kent/Superman theory.
Those are great cinematic scenes.

QT isn't the world greatest director, but he'll be as important to the cannon of film-making as Sam Peckinpah.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:25 AM   #24
ReanimationLP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Seconded.

He has one HUGE chin too. That chin must get to places 5 minutes before he does.

Stuff for Sale :3
ReanimationLP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:55 AM   #25
beatsme
macrumors 65816

Tarantino a hack? No. Certainly not. I wouldn't put any of his films among the best ever made (though Pulp Fiction is arguably one of the most influential), but he does create lively characters and memorable dialogue, and perhaps most importantly he's very good at casting. Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Forster, Steve Buscemi, Harvey Keitel, and Michael Madsen all have given really compelling performances in Tarantino's films.

As for "breaking new ground," I suppose that's a matter of opinion, though I wouldn't necessarily say it's a prerequisite for greatness. I wouldn't call Spielberg a really ground-breaking director, but you certainly can't argue the fact that, as directors go, he's one of the best (maybe the best) of his generation.

and just as an aside: George Lucas has done things that no one before him had ever done, and in many ways he has revolutionized the industry, though I don't consider him to be a really great director.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues