Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laure

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
How do I open a zip file? It always opens with script editor.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
ZIP archive files are handled by the OS...specifically BOMArchiveHelper. If you click once on the ZIP file and hit Command-I to bring up the Info box for it, what do you see in the "Open with:" section? I assume you see Script Editor. If you click on that menu, do you have BOMArchiveHelper as an option? If so, click that. Then you'll probably want to click the "Change all..." button to make sure that the OS opens all ZIP files.

Laure

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
2 things...I tried opening it with stuffit and it tells me the file is already unzipped
and
I didn't see the bombarchive thing.
Thanks!

Laure

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Woops!
It actually was opening with bomarchive. It opens a file setup.exe and thats the one that opens with scripteditor.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Laure said:
2 things...I tried opening it with stuffit and it tells me the file is already unzipped
and
I didn't see the bombarchive thing.
Thanks!

Strange! Usually opening a zip file is 1-2-3. Any chance you can post this file here? Assuming it is nothing personal/confidential.

NickElls

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
Laure said:
Woops!
It actually was opening with bomarchive. It opens a file setup.exe and thats the one that opens with scripteditor.

setup.exe? .exe files usually (always?) don't work on Macs.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
NickElls said:
setup.exe? .exe files usually (always?) don't work on Macs.

.EXE files are Windows files...so they can run on Macs, just not under OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.