Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:32 AM   #1
mrsoup
macrumors newbie

using ibook as a remote control??

Hello all!!

I have an 'old' G4 imac (usb 2.0) with a pretty sweet audio set up that I can hear throughout my house.
I just orderd and old school clamshell ibook (se) mostly for writing papers on the go. but I was wondering if any one knows how I can use it as a remote controll (over airport) to skip songs on my imac. this must be possible somehow...
I cant afford an airport express right now.

thanks for any ideas!!!
mrsoup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:34 AM   #2
ricgnzlzcr
macrumors 6502a

I can't really give you any advice, but am very impressed with your low end purchases. Keep it up! Those old machines can still give a lot of performance.
ricgnzlzcr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:38 AM   #3
mrsoup
macrumors newbie

well I bought the imac when it was brand new...
and I bought the ibook because its cheap and im a starving med student.

Im one of the weird people that buys computers to use them, not like some of the mac geeks that need to buy the latest hardware to compensate for their lack of a social life.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:04 AM   #4
LastLine
macrumors 65816

Can't comment on the airport idea but I use an old PDA with Sailing Clicker - have a google on it but it's cheap and very very customisable.
LastLine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:13 AM   #5
mrsoup
macrumors newbie

thanks for the tip.
I looked in to salling clicker, It looks cool. too bad my cell phone isnt blue tooth. and the only pda i have is that old newton Ive been using to keep the coffee table level.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:18 AM   #6
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsoup
Im one of the weird people that buys computers to use them, not like some of the mac geeks that need to buy the latest hardware to compensate for their lack of a social life.
I'm tempted to make a comment about being one of those weird people who knows how to use Google....

But that aside:

iTunes Remote Control is an option if your Macs run Tiger (or if perhaps Panther if you search for an older version).

This solution should work on any computer that has a working Apache installation (which, I believe, is any version of OS X, although I'm not sure if early versions had Apache, since I started with Panther mid-cycle...). Notably, you can do this on Windows as well...
Old Sep 6, 2006, 04:30 PM   #7
mrsoup
macrumors newbie

Thanks man, looks good.
when I googled all I could find was third party remote control hardware for presentations and what not.

thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan
I'm tempted to make a comment about being one of those weird people who knows how to use Google....

But that aside:

iTunes Remote Control is an option if your Macs run Tiger (or if perhaps Panther if you search for an older version).

This solution should work on any computer that has a working Apache installation (which, I believe, is any version of OS X, although I'm not sure if early versions had Apache, since I started with Panther mid-cycle...). Notably, you can do this on Windows as well...
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:09 AM   #8
CyberB0b
macrumors regular

Apple Remote Desktop would work. Personally I use VNC applications to share my desktop over the network. That way I can control iTunes or any application on other computers from my laptop.
CyberB0b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:17 AM   #9
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Solution!

feed://osx.iusethis.com/new_apps.rss

NetTunes is EXACTLY what you are looking for.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs