Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Aug 28, 2006, 02:48 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Thunderbird vs. Mail.app shootout

Category: Mac OS X
Link: Thunderbird vs. Mail.app shootout
Description:: Ashish Gulhati, CEO of email service provider Neomailbox, decided to dump Mail and give Thunderbird another try. Then the rot set it and Thunderbirdís charms began to fade. Like the hare and the tortoise, Thunderbird streaks ahead in the comparison shootout, but slow and steady wins the race.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:10 AM   #2
scabro
macrumors newbie

Mail vs Thunderbird

I was quite excited initially with all these new features Mail has to offer, however when the time has come (a few weeks ago) and I had to reinstall the Leopard, it was then when I realised how much hassle there is with backing up all emails. Even if all your Mail folder is backed up on your time machine - to restore all your emails will take you ages - if you like me, have large number of sub folders under your Inbox.
This was the time when I've realised that it's time to switch - and I got back to the Thunderbird - which I was using earlier on the PC.

The great thing about the Thunderbird is that to backup all your emails - including the folder structures, all accounts etc. - all you need to do is to copy the folder from the Library and after you've reinstalled your system simply copy it back to the same location - start up Thunderbird and everything looks as it was before. This is one of the main reasons why I'm sticking to Thunderbird.

Web Design Tutorials
scabro is offline   0
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:15 AM   #3
KingYaba
macrumors 68040

Who is this troll?
Quote:
OK, so Thunderbird managed to delete a lot of my recent mail.
Must have been something she did or neglected to adjust in the preferences.

Quote:
I’m also quite sick of Thunderbird’s frequent crashes, horrible search, flaky filters, and general instability.

Doesn't crash on my end, filters are fine and Thunderbird is more stable than Mail. Especially when you use multiple e-mail accounts with thousands of messages. Searching needs improvement so we agree on something. I can search via e-mail address and subject line. I wish they'd add content. Some times I'll remember the gist of an e-mail but in a sea of 10,000 messages it's highly impractical to search one by one without knowing who sent it and what the header was.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:17 PM   #4
rfruth
macrumors regular

Thunderbird is great, very flexible, profile folder etc... but if you add too many plug-ins it can be trouble so in a nutshell if you want a really sharp tool Tbird is it, but if mishandled it'll cut you.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion