Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An anonymous source claims Mac OS 10.4.8 has been seeded to developers. Among the preliminary list of changes in the new seed are fixes to AFP Server, WebCore, LoginWindow, CUPS and CDSASSL, and ImageCapture.

Also reported is a list of known issues (including double reboots, long reboots, and no localization in some areas). Testers are asked to focus on the following:

- AFP
- DVD Player
- Graphics and Graphics applications
- iCal
- iPhoto
- Mail
- Microsoft Word & OpenType fonts
- Modem usage
- Networking
- Printing
- Safari
- USB

The build weighs in at 305 MB for intel and 147 MB for PPC. If left as-is, the updates would be some of the largest in history (Mac OS 10.4.7, released in June, was only 133 MB intel and 64 MB PPC). However, many of Apple's early builds are significantly larger than when they are released to the public.

Digg This

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
The updates are bound to get larger in packaged size as the apps and services continue to mature. Better loads of patches than none.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Eeek. They're touching USB again. I expect another round of kernel panics coming from hot plug issues.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think I'll wait to download this as I see they're touching things that I seemed to have problems with last time around. I'll let someone else be the beta tester. ;)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
bowens said:
Sounds good. Last update before Leopard?

Doubt it, probably one around MWSF and another just before Leopard.

10.4.8 - sometime in October, big one.
10.4.9 - January, little one
10.4.10 - March, last one

10.5.0 - April... :D

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
bowens said:
they might release one to cope with the Merom/Conroe chips which are due in the MBP/iMacs. Remember they released 10.2.8 to use 64 bit with the G5 chips?

I don't use it a lot, but DVD Player doesn't need a lot of work, does it?

AeronPrometheus

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
DVD Player

...Which is funny, cause isn't there a new version already slated for Leopard? I'm guessing the 10.5 version will allow the app to play Blu-Ray and HD-DVD?

What's wrong with the Login Window? Or Image Capture?

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Good to see they're fixing the font issue. I'd noticed after 10.4.7 that I'm getting stray pixels all over the place in both MS Word and Camino. Annoying.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Holy cow!! 300mb for intel.
Can anyone explain why updates are larger for Intel? Maybe they release the changes as universal thus doubling the size?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
jmmo20 said:
Holy cow!! 300mb for intel.
Can anyone explain why updates are larger for Intel? Maybe they release the changes as universal thus doubling the size?

Intel is newer and thus requires a bit more work.

A Universal application is not double the size, it's not two copies of everything - one for PPC and one for Intel. A Universal application includes a PPC version of the binary and an Intel version of the binary, the resources remain common, therefore a Universal app is only very slightly bigger than a PPC-only app. Binaries aren't all that big, it's all the resources and stuff that make up the app that take up the most room.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Exciting! :)

It's a long, unlikely shot, but I wonder if some future version of Tiger will get iCal Server support (to be a client -- not to be an iCal Server). Apple's modus operandi says they probably won't bother, but it would be a good move for them if it is not prohibitive with respect to the APIs of Leopard vs. Tiger, since the more computers out there that can harness iCal servers, the more likely it is to take off. :)

MatthewCobb

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Manchester, UK
MACRUMORS said:
- Microsoft Word & OpenType fonts

Arggh. So that means Word will give me the spinning beachball of death once again as it tries to optimize its font men, until I trash all those stupid library files it insists on making, fiddle around with Fontbook, reboot reboot reboot. Still the beachball. And then suddenly it will work again, for no apparent reason.

Or maybe this will actually FIX that problem..

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i hope with the new login window, you can log off but still have apps running in the background so no one has access to your computer...that's the one feature i like about XP

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
puckhead193 said:
i hope with the new login window, you can log off but still have apps running in the background so no one has access to your computer...that's the one feature i like about XP

So when you FUS, do all applications stop cold in the switched-out user? For your needs, can you set password for screen saver and use the screen saver to lock your computer? That way you can just hot-corner or dock a screen saver icon, and then just flick to it when you want your computer secured while you're gone. Would that help? :)

I do actually like how ctrl-alt-del locks the station in Windows.... What I personally want actually is for an option to FUS to the login window on sleep or screen-save, so that instead of the screen saver password window, you get the login window....

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
puckhead193 said:

You've been able to do this since Panther. Just go into System Prefs - Accounts Preference Pane - Login Options. Then set fast user switching on. After that you can simply use the menu widget that appears to switch back to the login window while still being logged in.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I hope it fixes a problem I've been having since 10.4.7. On my secondary screen if it's rotated 90 degrees or 270 degrees (maybe 180 but why make a screen upside down?) certain programs lock the computer up... not a kernal panic but I have to reboot. SSH'ing in and killing processes doesn't even fix it.

Safari, some quicktime, certain screen savers... just weird stuff... oddly enough Safari has the problem but Firefox doesn't... it strikes me as weird since I'm pretty sure they display almost the same thing... ah well. Come on 10.4.8!

simonthewolf

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
Chundles said:
Intel is newer and thus requires a bit more work.

A Universal application is not double the size, it's not two copies of everything - one for PPC and one for Intel. A Universal application includes a PPC version of the binary and an Intel version of the binary, the resources remain common, therefore a Universal app is only very slightly bigger than a PPC-only app. Binaries aren't all that big, it's all the resources and stuff that make up the app that take up the most room.

Ah, that post makes me feel all nostalgic for the days of fat binaries!

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
bowens said:
I want to see atleast a 10.4.9. This is definitely good news though, hope they can fix some outstanding Safari issues, and if they touched on Finder, all the better :)

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
AeronPrometheus said:
...Which is funny, cause isn't there a new version already slated for Leopard? I'm guessing the 10.5 version will allow the app to play Blu-Ray and HD-DVD?

you wish.

sickracer2015

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2003
The large updates are the combo udates, 10.4.x to 10.4.8
there are probably smaller "Delta" updates that update 10.4.7 to 10.4.8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.