Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark2288

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hey all.

I recently got a bus-powered USB drive to store music, photos, and school stuff.

I successfully moved my iTunes library over to it, but was having trouble figuring out how to move my iTunes library over.

So I came here! :)

Thanks in advance.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Do you mean iTunes library as the post states, or iPhoto library as the title states?

If it's for iPhoto, I recommend an app called iPhoto Buddy to help you manage multiple libraries. It rocks.

Copy your iPhoto folder from the Pictures directory to your external, then use iPhoto buddy to point to that new folder. The instructions are easy to follow once you download the program.

Synapple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2004
Rome, Italy
What he said.

Or, since I had never heard of iPhoto Buddy, I did the following.

Move the library in its entirety. (Do NOT mess with the innards.) ("Move" as in "copy").

Hold down the Alt key the next time you start iPhoto and point iPhoto to the library on the external drive.
If you are sure that everything is OK after that, trash the original library on the internal drive.

mark2288

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
got it. i copied it over to the external and then loaded iPhoto holding down crtl+alt+shift and choose the new library.

so i ended up not using iPhoto buddy but it's installed in case i need it.

thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.