Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatties

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Well actually this might be a mac- wide problem... i am not sure.

i am writing a dissertation on Japan and well... the o with a line on top sort of features heavily... so, for academic accuracy, can anyone tell me how to make that happen? its nowhere in the symbols section.

furthermore, i've just printed some old essays off from when i was using words 2000 on hte pc and all these o with lines on top of them came out as squares...

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a note saying 'sorry my computer won't let me use the o with a line on top of it' is not an option! (i am too much of a perfectionist and it annoys me too!)

thanks.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I don't think there's a way to type that, but it's easy to get at:

If you're working with Japanese, you should have the "Character Palette" turned on in the Input menu. If you don't, turn it on and marvel at all the neat Japanese features it has--it's basically a simple Kanji dictionary, among other things.

With the character palette open, select "Roman" from the "View" menu. Click Accented Latin in the lefthand box, and find the capital and lowercase ō symbols (not sure if this forum software will properly convert the unicode so that will be visible). Double click on it or drag and drop it into a Word document (or use the "Insert" button at lower right), and bingo, you've got your symbol.

Note that you need to be using a font that contains the character for it to show up right, but you can see which ones do by expanding the "Font Variation" triangle in that window. Also don't forget that you can expand the palette to be as large as you want.

Final note: It's called a "Macron" apparently, so if you type "Macron" in the search box, it'll find all the Macron-ed letters for you.

Final, final note: You can add those characters to the "Favorites" tab up top, and that lets you get at them without sorting through all the accented characters. This is what I did when I was typing a document using Romaji.

Although frankly, these days, I either use double vowels for everything ("Tooru"/"Touru"), or use an umlat (the two dots), since that's much more widely supported in systems that aren't Unicode-savvy. The "hat" works too, and you can type that by just going option-i then the vowel you want the hat on: ô.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.