Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrober

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
Heathfield, UK
All,

I want to be able to produce on my mac a route map. If you think london underground you are on the right track. What sort of software could I use to do this especially as the map grows I will need to add lines which would require changes to the map e.g. I have two stops on one route when another route crosses it meaning I have to extend the gap between the stops to keep the design integrity.

Thanks in advance.

John

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I don't know of any specifically... though to do what you want, Illustrator would do the job, though obviously it won't automatically accommodate you adding new lines or stops.

billy_d_goat

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2005
I have to agree with iGav here. If I were doing it, I'd just build the entire thing in Illustrator and then export to whatever format I needed. You could use different layers to keep your routes seperate. This way you could turn them on and off.

jrober

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
Heathfield, UK
billy_d_goat and iGav,

Is Illustrator a vector graphics program or bitmap based? I understand from a bit of research that vector based graphics are key to allowing me to link nodes and stretch etc if required.

John

billy_d_goat

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2005
Yep, Illustrator is mainly vector based, though, you can place raster (bitmap) content. I would not recommend doing that too much. It is not really designed for it.

InDesign, also has basic vector abilities. I recently did a spotlight effect in it that is purely vectors. Looked better than the traditional Photoshop filter effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.