Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 1, 2006, 01:22 AM   #1
retrovertigo

iTunes - play a single song

I know this has probably been asked about 100 times, but I searched and I don't think I'm using the correct search terms. Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to make iTunes play a single song (in other words, not move to the next one when the current song is done) aside from dragging it to the Source column and making it a single-song playlist?
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 01:24 AM   #2
Nermal

In the bottom-left corner is an icon of an arrow in a "loop". Click it twice.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 01:27 AM   #3
retrovertigo

Awesome, thanks!
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 07:02 AM   #4
retrovertigo

Actually, it doesn't look like that works. That just stops the current PLAYLIST from repeating. What I am looking for is a way for it to not skip to another song after playing the current song, when playing from the Library instead of a playlist. Is this possible?
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 07:14 AM   #5
Veldek
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to Veldek Send a message via AIM to Veldek Send a message via MSN to Veldek
This button has several modes that you can click through: no repeat, repeat all or repeat one. The last one is the one you want, I think.
Veldek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 07:20 AM   #6
retrovertigo

No, repeat 1 only repeats the same song. I want to play one song and be done. The only way I see to do this is to drag it to the left column and turn it into a one-song playlist, which is pretty lame.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 07:27 AM   #7
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

You're right, iTunes isn't able to do what you want easily. It's yet another Apple interface blunder.

Here are some workarounds:

- Drag the song over to the playlist bar (so that you have a playlist of one song). Delete the playlist when you're done.

- Enter the song title into the search box until only the one you want is displayed (or is at least at the bottom of the list), then select and play.

- Ctrl-click the track and show song file. Put the Finder window into column mode and play it from the preview.

- Install this into your scripts menu (you should have Script Editor under Applications/Applescript to make it into a proper script file).
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 07:34 AM   #8
retrovertigo

Excellent, thanks for the info!
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 08:12 AM   #9
Killyp
macrumors 68040

It's even easier than that. Just type the full name of the track, with the artist name into the spotlight search in the top right of iTunes...
Killyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:28 AM   #10
VoodooDaddy
macrumors 65816

This is something that has had me scratching my head for some time, but I never bothered to figure out why.

Sometime when I play a song it will play that 1 and stop, exactly what the OP is asking how to do. Nothing else will play after that 1 song, even if its from a multi track cd. Other times it will play that song then go into the next song and continue to play until the end of the list.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why it does this from 1 time to the next. I'm not making single song play lists, I'm not hitting repeat 1 or anything else that might cause this behavior.

What I do it select the artist I want from the library list, choose the cd I want, then select the 1 song I want. Sometimes it plays the next song from that cd, and other times it stops after the song I selected. Weird.
VoodooDaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:34 AM   #11
miniConvert
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to miniConvert Send a message via MSN to miniConvert
I always just drag the one song into it's own new playlist. I guess it's not ideal, but I've never really thought twice about it!
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:47 AM   #12
ChrisBrightwell
macrumors 68020

If you uncheck a song, it won't be played "next."

If you uncheck *all* songs, you disable the "automatic track forward" feature of iTunes, meaning that it will play that song and stop until you tell it to play another song.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:54 AM   #13
Thanatoast
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBrightwell
If you uncheck a song, it won't be played "next."

If you uncheck *all* songs, you disable the "automatic track forward" feature of iTunes, meaning that it will play that song and stop until you tell it to play another song.
But it's not possible to uncheck all the songs in the library and have them only checked in the playlist. That'd be a great solution, but once a song is checked in the playlist, it becomes checked in the library. I think retrovertigo has a legitimate beef. Apple should fix this.
Thanatoast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:58 AM   #14
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatoast
But it's not possible to uncheck all the songs in the library and have them only checked in the playlist. That'd be a great solution, but once a song is checked in the playlist, it becomes checked in the library. I think retrovertigo has a legitimate beef. Apple should fix this.
Yep, and the other problem is that you lose the checkbox's iPod sync usefulness if you go messing around like that. This really should be another state on the shuffle button or something.
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 09:20 AM   #15
RDevinoff
macrumors newbie

Playing single songs on iTunes

I had the same problem and was very frustrated with the answers I got from the workers in my Apple Store. I was putting on a show and didn't want the music to continue until I was ready for it. Searched everywhere with no luck. Then one day it came to me. First create your playlist of the songs you want included. Then uncheck the check next to each song in the list. When you double-click a particular song, it will not repeat or go to the next song. Couldn't believe how simple the solution was!
RDevinoff
RDevinoff is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help