Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Mar 25, 2003, 04:24 PM   #1
benjaminpg
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to benjaminpg
Software Update Down?

Is anyone else having trouble with software update. When I run it, it finds all the software needed to be updated. Then when I try to download it I get this message:

The installation has encountered a problem. None of the checked updates were successfully installed. To try again, choose Download Checked Items from the Update menu and open the package from the Desktop.

I clicked OK, and tried the suggested procedure, and got the same dialog. I also am unable to download Safari from apple's site. I thought just the developer seeds of Safari were pulled.
benjaminpg is offline   0
Old Mar 25, 2003, 04:35 PM   #2
cubist
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to cubist
I used to have that problem. On the menu bar you can find an option which says "Download checked items to desktop". Download them to your desktop and then install them after that, and you won't have this trouble.
cubist is offline   0
Old Mar 25, 2003, 05:05 PM   #3
benjaminpg
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to benjaminpg
I just tried downloading the checked items to the desktop, and the same message comes up. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Benjamin
benjaminpg is offline   0
Old Mar 25, 2003, 06:36 PM   #4
mrjamin
macrumors 65816

i find that when i download updates thru software updates, the download freezes halfway through. Most annoying!

It always gets a little slow on the first day there's a new update to be downloaded.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 06:42 PM   #5
timbloom
macrumors 6502a

This happens sometimes and I have to reboot to get it to actually work.
timbloom is offline   0
Old Mar 25, 2003, 06:48 PM   #6
alset
macrumors 65816

Look for a standalone installer on Apple's web site. That's the number one solution to problems with SWU.

Dan
Old Mar 25, 2003, 06:52 PM   #7
mrjamin
macrumors 65816

yup - thats my general tactic; not quite as convenient as swu. winxp does win hands down on the update front.

mind you, i guess the windows one does get a lot more usage! looking for updates for windows is like looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. On a mac; it's fun! i love getting updates

me = update whore. why? i dunno
Old Mar 25, 2003, 07:01 PM   #8
timbloom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by mrjamin
yup - thats my general tactic; not quite as convenient as swu. winxp does win hands down on the update front.

mind you, i guess the windows one does get a lot more usage! looking for updates for windows is like looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. On a mac; it's fun! i love getting updates

Yeah, windows update is a necessity for windows users. On a mac it is like opening a christmas present when it pops up.
timbloom is offline   0
Old Mar 25, 2003, 07:06 PM   #9
iJon
macrumors 604

ive had problems before. i fix most problems by unchecking the check daily buttons or rechecking them.

iJon
iJon is offline   0
Old Mar 26, 2003, 06:36 AM   #10
Jaykay
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Jaykay
Quote:
Originally posted by mrjamin

Yeah everytime i start up my XP machine it keeps saying there are updates available for your system, it is strongly recommended that you downlaod these. I think to myself, wow, another hole was found in their OS, what a surprise....
Old Mar 26, 2003, 07:50 AM   #11
irmongoose
macrumors 68030

I REALLY REALLY REAALYYYY FU**ING HATE IT when it XP says "It is strongly recommended that you update Windoze" and then when I close it it says "you will be reminded again".. WTF?? So what I find out that that update is a buggy one or something?? I HAVE TO BE CONSTANTLY REMINDED TO DOWNLOAD SOMETHING I DON'T WANT TO????

FU** MICROSOFT.

irmongoose
Old Mar 26, 2003, 12:19 PM   #12
mrjamin
macrumors 65816

hehe - i hear you!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion