Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 1, 2006, 06:19 PM   #1
MarkZX6R
macrumors newbie

iBook G4 Severe Slow Down

What's strange about this problem is that it's the second time that it's happened to me (once a few months ago). I've got an iBook G4 from a few years ago, never had a problem, but out of the blue today my computer took about 15 minutes to get to the main loading screen. Everything is slowed down immensely, so I'm not really sure what to do. I checked the activity monitor and it seems okay, although it spikes on the disk activity screen randomly even if I am not running any other programs for both data read and data written.
MarkZX6R is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 06:26 PM   #2
MarkZX6R
macrumors newbie

right now I am trying to repair permissions on the hard drive to see if it improves, but does this sound like something where I would need to reinstall Mac OS X? If so, I need to be able to save the files on my computer (I know this is possible because I've done it before, I just don't remember how).
Old Sep 1, 2006, 08:26 PM   #3
Mernak
macrumors 6502

Yeah, its really easy to keep the stuff on your Hard Drive, on one of the boxes that you are going through when reinstalling there should be one with options, just click that and make sure archive and install is checked (I think it is by default, but not sure.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 08:57 PM   #4
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

I don't think this will need a reinstall just yet.

How much space do you have? There's an OSX bug that increases some log files to the extent that they fill your drive and slow your computer to molasses-pace. Check that you have at least 8GB of free space on your boot drive.

Also, open Activity Monitor and see if there's anything taking up a lot of your resources. Make sure to check All Processes and not just My Processes.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 01:46 PM   #5
MarkZX6R
macrumors newbie

Ok, I have checked the activity monitor and there is almost nothing running. CPU is using like 6-8% tops. I have about 13 GB free on the hard drive, but that virus sounds like something that could be the problem considering it happened before and then was for some reason randomly fixed.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 01:54 PM   #6
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZX6R
Ok, I have checked the activity monitor and there is almost nothing running. CPU is using like 6-8% tops. I have about 13 GB free on the hard drive, but that virus sounds like something that could be the problem considering it happened before and then was for some reason randomly fixed.
Not a virus, there aren't any.

Sounds similar to when my HDD died, everything slowed to a crawl and then Pfffttt.... gone.

I'd be backing up everything while you can and investigating other possibilities to a HDD failure - cover your bases.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 01:59 PM   #7
MarkZX6R
macrumors newbie

Yeah my disk activity monitor is what spikes like crazy when I have the data tab open -- sound like what you had?

By the way, when the computer is running this slow, what's the best way to get all my data off of it? I've got another computer to put it on ...

Last edited by MarkZX6R; Sep 3, 2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 02:15 PM   #8
yvaeh
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles
Sounds similar to when my HDD died, everything slowed to a crawl and then Pfffttt.... gone.

I'd be backing up everything while you can and investigating other possibilities to a HDD failure - cover your bases.
I second this. Make sure that you have backups up-to-date and keep checking S.M.A.R.T. status with Disk Utility. Mine gave an occasional warning.

- henrik
yvaeh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 02:19 PM   #9
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Yeah my disk activity monitor is what spikes like crazy when I have the data tab open -- sound like what you had?

By the way, when the computer is running this slow, what's the best way to get all my data off of it? I've got another computer to put it on ...
Network them and transfer the files.

I didn't get the chance to check Activity Monitor, it just went kaput overnight and I found it just before it died. Made clicking noises and wouldn't load.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 02:30 PM   #10
MarkZX6R
macrumors newbie

Well it's a mac to a pc ... what's the best way to go about networking that?
Old Sep 3, 2006, 02:32 PM   #11
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Well it's a mac to a pc ... what's the best way to go about networking that?
Ethernet cable. Don't think you need a crossover cable, Macs can handle the crossover internally.

Now, it's 4:30am, I'm off to sleep.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 07:50 PM   #12
MarkZX6R
macrumors newbie

I"m basically at the assumption now that the HDD is dying. I'm going to take it in to the Apple Store over the weekend and see what they can do. GOnna try and back it up with another HD first though so I can at least keep all of my music/photos/documents.

Having this G4 for 3 or 4 years really makes me want to get a MacBook or a Pro...
Old Sep 13, 2006, 08:14 PM   #13
n-abounds
macrumors 6502a

Won't Target Firewire mode work at full speed, even if the computer is slow? That'd be a good way to transfer if you have another mac...
n-abounds is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs