Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has heard an unconfirmed tidbit that Adobe has sent out invitations to a special announcement at next week's IBC conference in Amsterdam. According to our source, the event will have "universal appeal". We are currently working to confirm this information.

Only one Adobe application (Lightroom) is currently undergoing a universal public beta. Adobe had previously posted a PDF online indicating that CS3 would be released as a Universal Binary. CS2 was released in April of 2005.

Digg This

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Don't get your hopes up. Demos only.

There is no way that Photoshop CS3 will be released next week.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The CEO of Adobe himself said no UB apps until CS3, which is slated for Q2 '07. Unless the CEO retracts his statement, I'll take his word over anyone else's at this point in time thank you very much. :cool:

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Blue Velvet said:
Don't get your hopes up. Demos only.

There is no way that Photoshop CS3 will be released next week.

That's true. This is probably an announcement/demo of CS3, not a release. Like Leopard.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
hyperpasta said:
That's true. This is probably an announcement/demo of CS3, not a release. Like Leopard.

Would a public beta be impossible? A public beta for current CS2 owners that expired when CS3 was released would certainly be nice, and I don't see what the downside to Adobe would be.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
~Shard~ said:
The CEO of Adobe himself said no UB apps until CS3, which is slated for Q2 '07. Unless the CEO retracts his statement, I'll take his word over anyone else's at this point in time thank you very much. :cool:
good thinking; i'd have to agree.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
hyperpasta said:

They'll also be working to get the whole lot Vista-ready as well... sometimes, we're far too ready to assume that Adobe's plans centre around Apple's. ;)

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
mduser63 said:
Would a public beta be impossible? A public beta for current CS2 owners that expired when CS3 was released would certainly be nice, and I don't see what the downside to Adobe would be.

But I don't see what the UPside to Adobe would be either! Only to the consumer, which I'm not sure they care about.

l008com

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
A free incremental update to CS2 that added intel support, and nothing else, would be great for adobe. Its not going to happen though. Adobe wants its customers to hate Adobe. Universal appeal is universal as long as you have a credit card handy.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I was originally waiting for Adobe to go universal before I got my new Intel-based Mac. With this news, I hope my wait time gets shorter.

Now if only Leopard was due for release sooner than Spring 2007.

l008com

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
iMikeT said:
I was originally waiting for Adobe to go universal before I got my new Intel-based Mac. With this news, I hope my wait time gets shorter.

Now if only Leopard was due for release sooner than Spring 2007.
I was in the same boat, but then I figured i do most of my web work on my G5 so I can still upgrade my iBook to a Mac Book. But then I remembered I can't stand glossy screens and so I'm waiting for apple to come out with a matte bto option :-D

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
hyperpasta said:

I absolutely agree. Adobe is a mess right now, and there is no way they are 7 months ahead of schedule.

Only exception to this is they pulled features and crashed the development cycle--Adobe is sounding more, more like Microsoft nowadays--because their earnings have been so bad and they need to give Wall Street some sugar. Plus, they can't be happy about Aperture after the beating Apple gave Adobe in the video space.

hyperpasta said:
But I don't see what the UPside to Adobe would be either! Only to the consumer, which I'm not sure they care about.

The upside to Adobe is to get people testing their apps, and to keep people fired up about their suite.

Danksi said:
Sorry, MS who? :rolleyes:

I agree. If Apple finally does the serious update to iWork its customers have been waiting for, I'm dumping MSOffice for good.

I think if Apple does a serious upgrade, and had true file format compatibility which is possible given the company they bought a year ago, I think Apple is going to be blown away with the sales figures.

iWork has been a disappointment only because it is missing key features, and is buggy and slow as hell. But it shows brilliant promise. I hope Apple nails iWork in this next release.

For me, it helps me create beautiful documents. And dumping the last of Microsoft once and for all is just icing on the cake.

jrhone

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
~Shard~ said:

Not entirely true.....The Adobe Site says this:

"Adobe has a corporate policy of not commenting on ship dates. However to provide rough guidelines for planning this transition, we can point to our consistent track record of releaseing significant upgrades to our creative professional applications every 18-24 months."

Photoshop CS2 was released April 2005....18 months would be October release...September announcement....FYI, Photoshop CS was released October 2003...EXACTLY 18 months before CS2....Photoshp 7 was relesed March 2002, 19 months before CS. Photoshop 6 was released September 2000 (18 months)....So the last 4 updates came EXACTLY 18-19 months apart....I expect an Adobe announcement for CS3, and a release this year....

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
jrhone said:
Not entirely true.....The Adobe Site says this:

It doesn't matter one iota what a blanket statement on the corporate site says. When the CEO says the following at a press conference in April then I (and all of Adobe's shareholders) expect that to be broadly true.

Adobe CEO Bruce Chizen has repeated his company's warning that a version of Photoshop for Intel and PowerPC-based Macs won't ship until the first half of 2007.

"We are working very hard on making our products Mactel (Mac Intel) compliant," Adobe CEO Bruce Chizen said at a Tokyo news conference. "When we ship the new product Acrobat 8 this fall it will be Mactel (Mac Intel) compliant. When we ship Photoshop and the Creative Suite products next spring they will also be Mactel compliant."

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14433

jrhone

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
time will tell....there are alot of things that can happen between April and September....His April announcement may have been based on Intel not releasing chips this soon, or Mac Pro's not shipping this soon, or who knows....BUT...history would suggest that the release is sooner rather than later.....

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
We'll probably see a Demo, with the Windows version coming out first, and the Mac version sometime early next year.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
jrhone said:
history would suggest that the release is sooner rather than later.....

History is no guide especially when it comes to rejigging and testing apps for an entirely new hardware platform. I admire your optimism but feel it's misplaced.

It has nothing to do with when Intel chips were released as the developer's Intel Macs had been out for some time before that.

Acrobat and Lightroom may see some news, Photoshop probably a demo, nothing on InDesign and Illustrator. There may also be some signs on where Adobe is going to take Flash, Dreamweaver and any other former Macromedia apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.