Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
Now i realize that a 333mhz model lombard powerbook doesnt have support on the motherboard for playing dvd movies, only the 400mhz model does. i was reading online that when it was new you could get a 2x dvd drive with the 333mhz model. now my question is, even though the 333mhz model doesnt support dvd playback because of a lack of a onboard decoder. would a combo dvd/cdrw drive in a 333mhz model still allow you to install software off dvd's or not? i know you couldnt watch any movies, but i would think you could still install off dvds right or read ones with data on them?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
macg4 said:
Now i realize that a 333mhz model lombard powerbook doesnt have support on the motherboard for playing dvd movies, only the 400mhz model does. i was reading online that when it was new you could get a 2x dvd drive with the 333mhz model. now my question is, even though the 333mhz model doesnt support dvd playback because of a lack of a onboard decoder. would a combo dvd/cdrw drive in a 333mhz model still allow you to install software off dvd's or not? i know you couldnt watch any movies, but i would think you could still install off dvds right or read ones with data on them?

Yes.

By the way, I believe all Lombards required a DVD decoder card. I was under the impression Pismo was the first with onboard decoding hardware.

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
dpaanlka said:
Yes.

By the way, I believe all Lombards required a DVD decoder card. I was under the impression Pismo was the first with onboard decoding hardware.
ok cool. no all the wallstreets and only the 333mhz model lombard required a dvd decoder card for dvd playback. otherwise the 400mhz lombard was the 1st powerbook to support dvd playback because it had the dvd decoder built into the motherboard

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
macg4 said:

Yes, you can do this... in fact, I did it with my Lombard back when it still worked right (I dropped it and cracked the screen... the machine still ran though!). I got a combo drive with 24x CD burning capability, and I believe 6x DVD read. Worked great, and you still can play DVDs using VLC... just don't expect it to be usable. :)

Another thing to mention is that since the decoder hardware doesn't work under OS X... the Lombard cannot play DVDs in OS X (very well) at all. You need the particular DVD Player version that supported the hardware, and run the thing in OS 9 in order to playback DVDs on the Lombard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.