Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 6, 2006, 05:04 AM   #1
amin
macrumors 6502a

Can a Powerbook serve as a second display?

I want to extend the desktop of a Mac Pro. Can I use the Powerbook as a second display? I searched and the answer seems to be no, but if anyone knows a way, I'd love to hear it!
amin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 05:08 AM   #2
robbieduncan

The answer is basically No. A PowerBook does not have any video inputs. There is some software that kind of allows this over a network connection but it's name escapes me at the moment...
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 05:31 AM   #3
Trippy Jr
macrumors member

I won't say it's impossible, but there is no way to easily do it, or a convenient way.

There might be a software solution, but I'd guess there might be some lag or limitation on this, and the same for something going over the network.

Better to buy another display similar to the one you already have - it's a lot easier to view a split desktop without the height distance etc.
Trippy Jr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 06:07 AM   #4
amin
macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. If anyone knows the name of the network solution, I'd like to give it a try if it supports monitor spanning. Otherwise, I'll just drive the display with the Powerbook.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 06:36 AM   #5
weg
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by amin
I want to extend the desktop of a Mac Pro. Can I use the Powerbook as a second display? I searched and the answer seems to be no, but if anyone knows a way, I'd love to hear it!
Yes, if your other machine supports the X11 protocol ;-)
Old Sep 6, 2006, 06:57 AM   #6
amin
macrumors 6502a

What is the X11 protocol?

Edit - Okay I looked it up, and it doesn't look like it would help me with spanning anyway, would it?
Old Sep 8, 2006, 03:32 PM   #7
weg
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by amin
What is the X11 protocol?

Edit - Okay I looked it up, and it doesn't look like it would help me with spanning anyway, would it?
Sorry, I was more or less joking. The X11 protocol allows you to view the window of an application that you're running on another computer on your screen. However, this does only work when the application is written for X11 (as most Unix applications are). This doesn't allow you to enlarge your workspace, AND both computer must be switched on.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Manzana
macrumors 6502a

ok, what if you use your mac pro through your powerbook with Apple remote desktop or vnc? this way you could use your pb and display, your external monitor with spanning, and your macpro all at the same time?

this way anywhere you go within your wireless network you would have access to your mac pro, and when you're at your desk you could use your extra monitor.

i'd love to have this setup!
Manzana is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs