Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xjohn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Beijing
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good web hosting company?

My needs are fairly simple. I mainly want to use it to host my (as of yet still theoretical) weblog, and I don't want to use .mac because it doesn't support CGI scripts. I would like it to be flexible should my needs expand in the future.

I'm currently looking at Dot5Hosting's "Dot 1" plan.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Dot5Hosting... Excellent package price range, good service, and plenty of pipes from the servers to the web (producing good load times). I'm on the dot3 plan at present, but I could always change to a different package and the bill changes to reflect that. If it turns out I really only need the dot2, I can downgrade and pay less, or upgrade to a dot4 and pay the new price starting at the next bill. You also get the OPTION to pay for a year at a time, IF you want to.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by FlamDrag
It doesn't get any better than NDCTech.com

$2.95 / month to start and you get ALL KINDS of features for no extra charge.

That's all well and good, if you have a TINY web site, with almost zero traffic on it (including your uploads and updates). Dot5 has better lower cost plans then that place. ALL of Dot5's plans include unlimited email, unlimited sub-domains. As for the MySQL databases allowed, one is all well and good for a low end site, two is better, I get three (only using two at the moment). Unlimited is just plain stupid, especially when even high end sites with tons of content rarely go over 3 to 5 MySQL database files. Considering how Dot5 has unlimited php files and such (limited only by the size of the files) you don't need more then a few. I only had the second one generated because I wanted to keep my discussion boards and store database files seperate.

Feature for feature, I firmly believe that Dot5's hosting plans beat the ones from ndctech...

BTW, what does ndctech charge for setup and domain registration?? Dot5 has FREE setup, as well as free activation of things like the MySQL database files, naming of the files, performing tasks that you cannot do through either an FTP client or terminal (I can SSH to my site at will). They also have a decent name registration charge, less then some, and the same price as many/most. I find it humorous when hosts claim to offer free domain registration but then charge you ~$35 (or more) for getting set up. Don't you think that part of that is going to pay for the domain name? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.