Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NicS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Dear all,

I found myself with a problem that few mac owners have.
The caps lock and num lock on the macbook have to be always on to get the proper behaviour of the keyboard.
At booting time, caps & num are switching on automatically.
I found the problem reported by googling a bit, but no solution.
Do you know if it's a harware or software problem?
Any solution?
In that case, is this sufficient to call apple. I just saw it would cost a fortune to call support (3 months just expired)

Thank you.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I seem to remember this being a hardware issue, but there's a quick way to test:

Boot up from the disc that came with the Mac and in the setup program test it. If it's still inverted, it's obviously not software, so you might as well call Apple. If it works fine there, maybe something in the OS got goofed up, so you might try an archive and install.

I'm assuming you've tried the obvious resets of PRAM and power manager, and applied any firmware updates?

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
If you are using a non-Apple keyboard, try pressing: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Enter simultaneously then release, and see if that resets it. I just had to have an employee at work do that to reset theirs.

NicS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Hi.

Nope I did not try the PRAM NVRAM PMU reset.
I just did a PRAM reset and it solved the problem:
1. Shut down
2. Command + Option + P + R until reboot

Thanks for the replies. I hope this will help those I found to have the same problem on forums.

neo19ro

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2006
numlock inverted

I have a question. This happens only when you have the adaptor pluged in the macbook.

Becuase it also happened to me, but I turn it off and deplug the magsafe, and i start the macbook again, and all returns to normal.

Could some one explain me what is the problem ?

mr goosey

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2007
Sorry to bring this back up, but this has started to happen to me too. I have a newish white macbook and, very often, the num & caps locks are inverted. Rather annoying. What do I have to do to permanently fix this?

James

Emmah

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2007
numlock inverted

Same here with a brand new MBP. I had num lock and caps lock on and inverted at each reboot. I have re-installed, now I "only" have the num lock on and inverted.

I called Apple to be told it is an unknown issue, and therefore there is no solution.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
I Also Have This Problem....as You Can See...this Happened Since The Latest Update I Did Today...not Sure What Was Updated But It Is Frustrating...if Anyone Has A Solution...
Thx
X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.