Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:06 AM   #1
Selenolycus
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to Selenolycus Send a message via AIM to Selenolycus Send a message via MSN to Selenolycus Send a message via Yahoo to Selenolycus Send a message via Skype™ to Selenolycus
iBook G4 14" Freezing

Lately, my iBook G4 has been freezing a LOT. I'll be watching a video, filling out a form, blah blah blah, then all of a sudden... mouse cursor cannot be moved. Keyboard is functionless. Windows remain without animation.

I've installed a gigabyte of RAM into my well over a month ago. Basically all throughout August it worked fine, no freezing or anything. Every now and then it would act funny after waking from sleep causing me to reboot, but that was it.

However, the RAM is not installed an extremely secure fit. I tried for hours to get it to fit in a way I thought was proper. I'ts secure, it doesn't move. I took the RAM out and put it back in again to make sure it was ok. I also managed to make the plastic keyboard lock (the ones you press down to take-off the keyboard on an iBook) pop-upp and render itself functionless. That shouldn't be a big deal if I bring the iBook to Apple, should it?

Anyway, my main questions are:

1. If any, what are the primary causes of such freezing in Macs/iBooks?
2. Does it seem the RAM would be a problem, or is there possibly another hardware or software problem?
3. Is there anything I can do software-wise that may remedy this? I know freezing is one of those things where the source problem is difficult to determine, but I am willing to try a few remedies for possible problems.

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by Selenolycus; Sep 6, 2006 at 11:25 AM.
Selenolycus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:10 AM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Is it the appropriate type of RAM? I think the RAM is most likely your problem so try running without the RAM for a while and see if you still get freezes and kernel panics.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs