Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 7, 2006, 04:03 PM   #1
larryjoe76
macrumors newbie

Powerbook G3?

I have a powerbook g3 and I want to upgrade to an older version of OS 10. Is that possible? I'm really unfamiliar with my laptop's capabilities and I'm not sure it has enough RAM. I clicked on the "About this computer" link and it seemed like it had less than 100 or something like that.

Sorry to be unhelpful with this info. I'm kind of computer illiterate.
larryjoe76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 04:09 PM   #2
CyberB0b
macrumors regular

Does it look like this?

On that site is the maximum OS version of each PowerBook. Find your model and it will let you know if it can handle OS X. Although, you may need more RAM to get it up to the minimum requirements.
CyberB0b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 04:16 PM   #3
larryjoe76
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberB0b
Does it look like this?

On that site is the maximum OS version of each PowerBook. Find your model and it will let you know if it can handle OS X. Although, you may need more RAM to get it up to the minimum requirements.
That's it. That's my laptop.

Okay, I looked at the website and I had a hard time finding the part that tells me if it can handle OS X. I don't want 10.4, though. I don't think the old dino of a computer can handle it.

And how do I get more RAM? In short, is this laptop worth all the bother of upgrading?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 04:26 PM   #4
dpaanlka
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to dpaanlka
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoe76
That's it. That's my laptop.

Okay, I looked at the website and I had a hard time finding the part that tells me if it can handle OS X. I don't want 10.4, though. I don't think the old dino of a computer can handle it.

And how do I get more RAM? In short, is this laptop worth all the bother of upgrading?
Are you sure that's it? Because there are three different series of PowerBooks that look like that, with each series having a few models. This is a much better site to find out which machine is yours http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl..._g3/index.html

Is the Apple logo below your LCD and multi-colored, or above it and white? If it is above and white, do you have FireWire ports or a SCSI port?

The three models are below:

Wallstreet: Rainbow Apple logo. Came in speeds of 233mhz, 250mhz, 266mhz, 292mhz, and 300mhz. No USB, No FireWire. Can go up to Mac OS X Leopard.

Lombard: White Apple logo. No ADB. Has USB and SCSI. Can go up to Mac OS X Panther.

Pismo: White Apple logo. No ADB, No SCSI. Has USB and FireWire. Can go up to Mac OS X Tiger.

Last edited by dpaanlka; Sep 7, 2006 at 04:33 PM.
dpaanlka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 04:30 PM   #5
larryjoe76
macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm not positive that's my same laptop now. I'll have to go back and check.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 04:33 PM   #6
larryjoe76
macrumors newbie

What's the going rate for a new Mac laptop, a really basic version? I'm thinking maybe I'll just upgrade. But I want to not spend more than $1000.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 04:34 PM   #7
dpaanlka
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to dpaanlka
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoe76
What's the going rate for a new Mac laptop, a really basic version? I'm thinking maybe I'll just upgrade. But I want to not spend more than $1000.
Umm... http://store.apple.com/

MacBooks start at $1099.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs