Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larryjoe76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I have a powerbook g3 and I want to upgrade to an older version of OS 10. Is that possible? I'm really unfamiliar with my laptop's capabilities and I'm not sure it has enough RAM. I clicked on the "About this computer" link and it seemed like it had less than 100 or something like that.

Sorry to be unhelpful with this info. I'm kind of computer illiterate.

CyberB0b

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
Does it look like this?

On that site is the maximum OS version of each PowerBook. Find your model and it will let you know if it can handle OS X. Although, you may need more RAM to get it up to the minimum requirements.

larryjoe76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
CyberB0b said:
Does it look like this?

On that site is the maximum OS version of each PowerBook. Find your model and it will let you know if it can handle OS X. Although, you may need more RAM to get it up to the minimum requirements.

That's it. That's my laptop.

Okay, I looked at the website and I had a hard time finding the part that tells me if it can handle OS X. I don't want 10.4, though. I don't think the old dino of a computer can handle it.

And how do I get more RAM? In short, is this laptop worth all the bother of upgrading?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
larryjoe76 said:
That's it. That's my laptop.

Okay, I looked at the website and I had a hard time finding the part that tells me if it can handle OS X. I don't want 10.4, though. I don't think the old dino of a computer can handle it.

And how do I get more RAM? In short, is this laptop worth all the bother of upgrading?

Are you sure that's it? Because there are three different series of PowerBooks that look like that, with each series having a few models. This is a much better site to find out which machine is yours http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/index.html

Is the Apple logo below your LCD and multi-colored, or above it and white? If it is above and white, do you have FireWire ports or a SCSI port?

The three models are below:

Wallstreet: Rainbow Apple logo. Came in speeds of 233mhz, 250mhz, 266mhz, 292mhz, and 300mhz. No USB, No FireWire. Can go up to Mac OS X Leopard.

Lombard: White Apple logo. No ADB. Has USB and SCSI. Can go up to Mac OS X Panther.

Pismo: White Apple logo. No ADB, No SCSI. Has USB and FireWire. Can go up to Mac OS X Tiger.

larryjoe76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Okay, I'm not positive that's my same laptop now. I'll have to go back and check.

larryjoe76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
What's the going rate for a new Mac laptop, a really basic version? I'm thinking maybe I'll just upgrade. But I want to not spend more than $1000.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.