Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 9, 2006, 05:09 PM   #1
DarkNetworks
macrumors 68000
 
DarkNetworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
iBook Slowed Down...

For the past week, my iBook slowed down tremendously. I can barely run a single application at a decent speed. Every few minutes, the spinning wait cursor appears (hard disk spins) and I'll have to wait for a few minutes before i can continue using my iBook again. Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue? I recently did a clean format and everything went quick and this issue is something recent. My iBook specs are 800Mhz G4 and 256MB RAM in it. Do you think if there's something wrong with the HD or should I get more RAM in it? I've been thinking about upgrading / putting more RAM in it but will it help? I don't want to spend approx. 100 and end up doesn't help speed up my iBook. Thanks in advance.

This is what I mean by spinning wait cursor
__________________
procrastination is truly a tool of the devil...
DarkNetworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 06:54 PM   #2
IJ Reilly
macrumors G5
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Probably you will get the answer that more RAM is essential -- and in your case I'd say you are operating with the bare minimum -- but if I hear you correctly you are noting a recent change in performance over what you are accustomed to. This suggests an issue, other than RAM, unless you have changed the way you are using the Mac fairly drastically.

My first suspicion in your case is a problem on the hard drive. You should check this before doing anything else. Do you know how to run fsck in Single User Mode?
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 07:02 PM   #3
pianoman
macrumors 68000
 
pianoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
you dont' say what version of OSX you're using, but in any case 256 is not a good amount of RAM to have anymore. while that may have been acceptable a few years ago, you really need 512 to run the basic apps and at least 1GB to do more intensive stuff.

that said, try repairing permissions in Disk Utility. i did that last night and freed up about 300MB of RAM (out of 2GB). i would look into getting more RAM soon or buying a new computer.

good luck.
pianoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 07:13 PM   #4
IJ Reilly
macrumors G5
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Right on cue, I guess.

If nothing else in the way the Mac is being used has changed, a degradation in performance cannot possibly be attributed to a lack of RAM.

Diagnose your problem before you try to fix it. This is always the soundest approach. Otherwise you are simply firing blindly into the darkness in hopes of hitting something.
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:15 AM   #5
DarkNetworks
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
DarkNetworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly
but if I hear you correctly you are noting a recent change in performance over what you are accustomed to. This suggests an issue, other than RAM, unless you have changed the way you are using the Mac fairly drastically.
I've not really changed the way i used the Mac. After the format, everything was running pretty good. Yeah since it's an older Mac, yeah there'll be waiting times and all but not really to this extent. I stopped using the iBook for a few days due to travelling and when the next time I power it up, this issue starts. I'm suspect it might be the HD as well. It spins pretty loudly and very frequently, during the waiting process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly
Do you know how to run fsck in Single User Mode?
I'm not sure how I can do this, can you run down the steps for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman
you dont' say what version of OSX you're using, but in any case 256 is not a good amount of RAM to have anymore. while that may have been acceptable a few years ago, you really need 512 to run the basic apps and at least 1GB to do more intensive stuff.
I'm running Tiger v10.4.7. Yeah I know and I've been thinking for quite some time to upgrade to 1GB. But right now, I'm thinking, what if I spend the money and don't get any speed out of it.
__________________
procrastination is truly a tool of the devil...
DarkNetworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:56 PM   #6
nitynate
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Clearwater, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNetworks

I'm running Tiger v10.4.7. Yeah I know and I've been thinking for quite some time to upgrade to 1GB. But right now, I'm thinking, what if I spend the money and don't get any speed out of it.
If you dont get a speed increase from 256MB to 1GB I will eat my own hand.
nitynate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:31 PM   #7
IJ Reilly
macrumors G5
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNetworks
I've not really changed the way i used the Mac. After the format, everything was running pretty good. Yeah since it's an older Mac, yeah there'll be waiting times and all but not really to this extent. I stopped using the iBook for a few days due to travelling and when the next time I power it up, this issue starts. I'm suspect it might be the HD as well. It spins pretty loudly and very frequently, during the waiting process.
Any condition that changes independent of any other known change is worthy of investigation. Personally, I would not throw much/any money at a computer this old and not especially if its unlikely to fix the actual problem. Based on the description of the symptoms I would suspect an ailing hard drive. To run fsck:

Reboot in single user mode by restarting and holding down:

cmd-s

... until the black screen with white text appears. At the prompt, type:

fsck -fy [including the space, return]

If repairs are reported, run fsck again until no repairs are reported. Then, at the prompt, type:

reboot [return]

Try at least this much before you let anybody spend your money. Let us know how it goes.
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iBook G4 Running Slow oldschool006 PowerPC Macs 12 Jun 6, 2011 03:17 PM
iBook G4 Severe Slow Down MarkZX6R PowerPC Macs 12 Sep 13, 2006 07:14 PM
iBook slows down after extensive web surfing YS2003 OS X 11 Nov 27, 2005 04:38 PM
New iBook - Airport Extreme Causes Computer to Slow Down then Disconnects oli84 Macintosh Computers 10 Oct 15, 2005 05:59 PM
Why has my new iBook slowed down? sjcaguy General Mac Discussion 3 Dec 23, 2003 12:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC