Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
hi i'm new to mac. former pc user but hated all the crashing and slowness. anyway...

i have a 2000 g4 powermac w/ the standard ati rage 128 pro video card. it has a vga port and a dvi (i think) port.

HOW CAN I USE MY TV AS MONITOR?

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
i suppose you could use any tv as a monitor

what really matters is what kind of tv you are talking about if its hi def
it will be ok
if its a old glass tube 4:3 kind forget it, its to small a resolution
it would work but its like looking at everything with a magnifying glass

Just wait a minute sonny let me get my spectacles

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
yea its a panasonic 30" glass tube. i'd still like to try tho, because right now i have no monitor for it. i've already made a vga to component video cable. but i don't know at what rates resolution etc to set it for. do you?
if you have aim i could talk to you on that too....

i have to lug it over to my roomates side and use his monitor to change the settings....

studiox

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Stockholm / Sweden
Toby Goodbar said:
yea its a panasonic 30" glass tube. i'd still like to try tho, because right now i have no monitor for it. i've already made a vga to component video cable. but i don't know at what rates resolution etc to set it for. do you?
if you have aim i could talk to you on that too....

i have to lug it over to my roomates side and use his monitor to change the settings....

First of all your ATI card does not support Component. But you should be able to get S-VIDEO of the card with an ATI adapter. (Should have been included).

The resolution will then change automatically and you'll get an extra "Monitor" in OSX with the default resolution (Not sure your in a PAL or NTSC country).

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
can you tell me more about the adaptor i need? it wasn't included. US is an NTSC country.

ANYONE have any more info?
OR, what video card WOULD support video output to TV?

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
well since you cant link to the apple website because its setup for per user basis or somthing i forget what its called exactly
do a search at the store for adaptors or s-video
they have a vga and a dvi to s-video one maybe more i dont know
that should work if you have ADC then i dont know as i am not familiar with that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.