Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:19 AM   #1
lieb39
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to lieb39
Sell Powerbook, buy MacBook... Advice?

Hello everyone,

I had a Powerbook G4 15" last revision of the PBs. Very nice machine but I've decided that I..

A. Need more Power
B. Need Windows (A sad day, but I need it for a few things..)
C. Wouldn't mind the new extra features (iSight) & Size

So I've decided to go get my Powerbook repaired so it's all fixed up and sell it on eBay, and to buy the Macbook (White, 2.0GHz) and hopefully the difference isn't too bad.

Any advice on this process? Anything I should consider?

Cheers!

-lieb39
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:35 AM   #2
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

I think in order for us to help, it would help if you said more about one or more of these things:

1) Did you consider an MBP and reject it in favor of an MB and if so, why?

2) What did you do with your PB?

The reasons I am asking:

- For the very last PB 15" vs. the current MB, you're probably going to take something of a video performance hit.

- If you're using Rosetta heavy stuff, you will get a speed boost but it may not be nearly as significant as you think. If you have enough RAM, Adobe, for instance, will probably be marginally faster on a MacBook. But marginally means... maybe 10%? There might be specific benchmarks, and I might be wrong, but the combination of going to a slower video card and using Rosetta will do in a lot of the difference between those two Macs, I think. The issue would probably be even more pronounced if you use software that takes heavy advantage of CoreServices to do graphics (e.g. loads onto the video card very heavily).

But if you're not planning on heavily using Rosetta apps, and are not a graphics maven, it'll probably be ace.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:42 AM   #3
lieb39
macrumors 6502

mkrishnan,

1) Did you consider an MBP and reject it in favor of an MB and if so, why?
Price was a big one, but also because I would prefer the smaller size. The MBP is nice and all but I'd prefer a machine that I don't need to baby every second.

2) What did you do with your PB?
Browsing, Occasionally Movie Editing (Ok, less than occasionally..), iPhoto'ing, Photoshop once in a while, basic stuff. Mainly was browsing, chatting, and watching videos and DVDs.

No games, nothing like that. I don't care much for games, even on a PC - that's why I have consoles..

I think the MB is a better option for myself...

Any advice on the process of selling my PB15"?

Cheers,

lieb39
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:50 AM   #4
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Gotcha, I think you're on the right track for selling it then. As far as where...well, not all of our members are Aussies, but you seem to have enough posts to sell here. Your price here or in other forums will be lower than, say, eBay, but you will not have to pay fees. Otherwise, eBay is certainly also good. But I don't have as much experience selling... Sowwies.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:54 AM   #5
lieb39
macrumors 6502

Anyone have a estimated on how much I will get?

15" Powerbook, last revision
High-def screen
1.5 DDR2 RAM
80GB HDD
Tiger 10.4
Nearly mint condition - very limited (about 5 small, the largest about 3cm) scratches on the cover
Brand new battery (battery replacement program)
Box, manuals included
Purchased around Nov 2005, with Applecare.

Cheers!

-lieb39
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:30 PM   #6
Veritas&Equitas
macrumors 68000

Based on current eBay prices, probably anywhere from $1300-1400 USD. Obviously less if you're selling here on MR though

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs