Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
I'm using an Airport Express, and because of situations with other users I WANT on my network, I can't use a WEP key. Unfortunately, this means unwanted users are on it as well. Is there any management software I can use to see who's signed into my network, and kick/block some of them? Thanks.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
Meyvn said:
I'm using an Airport Express, and because of situations with other users I WANT on my network, I can't use a WEP key. Unfortunately, this means unwanted users are on it as well. Is there any management software I can use to see who's signed into my network, and kick/block some of them? Thanks.

There are a few things you can do but you haven't really given enough explanation as to why you can't use a WEP key. What about WPA? You can also lock down a network (wireless) using MAC addresses so that only specific network cards can access it. There are ways to spoof it but it's relatively secure. You can also limit the number or clients that can connect at once.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
The reason I can't use a WEP is because the Windows computer that connects to my network (that I WANT) on it for some reason, cannot get the WEP key right. Even when I put in the correct password on that end, it gives me some crap about 'needs to be 10 characters' when the password isn't even that long. Also, I'm connecting my X-Box to the APX, and I'm not sure it can handle that, either. If you can recommend a way to get it to work properly, I'd love to be able to use WEP or WPA. It'd be by far the easiest solution.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
Meyvn said:
The reason I can't use a WEP is because the Windows computer that connects to my network (that I WANT) on it for some reason, cannot get the WEP key right. Even when I put in the correct password on that end, it gives me some crap about 'needs to be 10 characters' when the password isn't even that long. Also, I'm connecting my X-Box to the APX, and I'm not sure it can handle that, either. If you can recommend a way to get it to work properly, I'd love to be able to use WEP or WPA. It'd be by far the easiest solution.

Fair enough. Can you connect the Windows machine via wired connection to avoid the WEP problem perhaps? I realize this may not be possible depending on your setup.

What sort of network card specifically are you using on Windows, and what version of Windows is this, with which service pack please? (Sorry but necessary to have this information to get a complete picture).

Have you tried another wireless network card in the Windows computer incase that card is the problem, or have you tried different/updated drivers with the existing card?

I think the Xbox can handle WEP, by the way.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
AnthonyKinyon said:
Fair enough. Can you connect the Windows machine via wired connection to avoid the WEP problem perhaps? I realize this may not be possible depending on your setup.

What sort of network card specifically are you using on Windows, and what version of Windows is this, with which service pack please? (Sorry but necessary to have this information to get a complete picture).

Have you tried another wireless network card in the Windows computer incase that card is the problem, or have you tried different/updated drivers with the existing card?

I think the Xbox can handle WEP, by the way.

It's a laptop, and some Linksys PCMIA b/g card. It handles Windows-to-Windows WEPs fine. And this happens with ANY Windows computer I've used the APX with, regardless of network card. They've all had Windows XP, but that's the only similiarity; some of them had SP2, some didn't.

prodigiousfool

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2006
I agree

Eidorian said:
MAC address filtering and limit address range?

I have to agree here. I've set up a couple of networks for my brothers and my parents, and I always skip over the WEP and go straight for MAC filtering. Additionally, like Eidorian said, I limit the IP Address range.

For instance, in my parents house, there are only 2 computers, so I allow for 3-4 so that when I'm over there my Powerbook can connect and if I'm working on a friend's system I can simply add the MAC address, pop it in there, and then when I'm done just remove the MAC.

Some say it's a hassle to add and removethe MAC, and I technically don't need to, but WEP just gave me such a pain going between Windows and Mac that it just didn't seem worth it to me to go that route. How that helps...

Dane

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.