Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
ever since the latest osx software update, i have had to reset the pram on my macbook everytime i restart or shut down and turn back on, whether it be after updating other software or if i do it by myself.

first, is this bad for the macbook? i don't really know exactly what resetting the pram means, i just know how to do it.
second, do you think i should send it in? i hesitate doing this because i am a college student who takes notes on this thing for every class. i can't afford to be without my computer at all.

can i afford to wait until october or november to take it to the apple store at home? should i take it now? better yet, is there a way to fix this problem at all???? heeellpppp :)

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
oops sorry ... i meant to put that when it begins to reboot again, the grey screen appears, but then different colored vertical lines appear very slowly. i know that many people have had this problem, but normally resetting the pram once fixes it for them.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
haleyvan said:
has anyone else had this problem? :(

Found this on macnn - Try this

1. Shut the computer off.

2. Restart holding the Option-Command-R-P keys down, wait for three "bongs" and release keys. MacBook should boot normal with no lines.

3. Next, open your System Preferences control panel and open "Displays" in there. Now change your current resolution setting to some other resolution and then switch it back to your current setting. Close preferences and reboot to test. It should keep rebooting normal without the lines.

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
WOW it worked. i have been living with this problem for like a month now, and before that i had random shutdowns (i fixed that too by posting on here). thank you so much everyone for all your help!!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.