Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:14 PM   #1
macjay
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Improving video performance on iBook G3?

Hi,

Is there any way to improve the video performance on my iBook G3 (600mhz, 640MB RAM, 16MB VRAM)? I find that besides not being able to play any of the HD trailers at Apple's website (even 480p), it can't even seem to play a standard trailer without stutterring. Is there anything I can do to improve the video performance?

Would downgrading from Tiger to Panther help?

Thanks.
macjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:54 PM   #2
Leareth
macrumors 68000
 
Leareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver and Montreal
upgrading to at least a G4 ibook will help

but seriously - panther downgrade is a good option, when I had my 700MHZ G3 it ran the fastest under 10.3.8

oh and make sure you have at least 15% of hard drive free
__________________
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
Leareth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:20 AM   #3
dpaanlka
macrumors 601
 
dpaanlka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Illinois
Send a message via AIM to dpaanlka
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjay
Is there anything I can do to improve the video performance?
Besides make sure nothing else is running... no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjay
Would downgrading from Tiger to Panther help?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leareth
panther downgrade is a good option, when I had my 700MHZ G3 it ran the fastest under 10.3.8
He didn't say the computer was slow, he said playing Apple's high resolution trailers is slow.
__________________
Long-time Mac user and evangelist, creator of ArraySync and curator of Info-Mac and System 7 Today.
dpaanlka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 03:48 AM   #4
Leareth
macrumors 68000
 
Leareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver and Montreal
I should have phrased it better, I had no problems running trailers and DVD's under 10.3.8 where as there was noticable stuttering under tiger.
as for High res trailers they always ran buggy but then again I havent had the iBook for over year and half.
__________________
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
Leareth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 09:52 AM   #5
macjay
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Thank you both for your input.

Do you think using VLC (or some other video player) might provide better performance than Quicktime?

Cheers.
macjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 09:55 AM   #6
macjay
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Hey Leareth,

What was the VRAM and RAM on your G3?

Thanks.
macjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:15 PM   #7
EHUnlucky7x9@ao
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to EHUnlucky7x9@ao
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjay
Hey Leareth,

What was the VRAM and RAM on your G3?

Thanks.
His iBook has a 16mb VRAM chip in it, as he stated. It's an ATI Rage Mobility chip. There's no way to fix it because the video card is soldered to the motherboard. As the first poster said, you'd have to upgrade yourself to a new machine. Or, just not watch HD videos on your iBook.

VLC won't help watching movies that are streamed either because your limited to your graphics processor on your iBook. High Def wasn't really out and about on the web when that iBook was made.

Downgrading your iBook from Tiger to Panther would only speed up your computer because the OS wouldn't be too demanding from the CPU. The closer you get your OS to the original OS the iBook was made for, the faster your machine will become.
__________________
3.5 i7 3770k, 8Gb 1333 Ram, HD4000, 6 TB HD
2.3 i5 MBP
EHUnlucky7x9@ao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:50 PM   #8
macjay
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHUnlucky7x9@ao
His iBook has a 16mb VRAM chip in it, as he stated.
No, that was me, the OP.

Do you think the bottleneck is at the graphics card, the CPU, or perhaps both?

For example, when I try to watch the following trailer for "Borat" which is NOT HD, I get stuttering and pausing:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/borat/trailerg/

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHUnlucky7x9@ao
Downgrading your iBook from Tiger to Panther would only speed up your computer because the OS wouldn't be too demanding from the CPU. The closer you get your OS to the original OS the iBook was made for, the faster your machine will become.
Which OS do you think would be ideal for an iBook 600, especially with regard to video performance? It came with 10.1, but I'm not sure that that would be the fastest OS...

Cheers.
macjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:58 PM   #9
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816
 
CubeHacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Your bottleneck is your CPU. Although the standard trailers shouldn't be stuttering (at least, I don't think they should be), there is nothing you can do short of buying a new computer to get faster speeds with your video's.
CubeHacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 01:29 PM   #10
EHUnlucky7x9@ao
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to EHUnlucky7x9@ao
Well, I'm just basing logic here. The closer your version of the OS to the original, would free up CPU usage. The G3 platform isn't too great for more current versions of OSX or use of video.


If the video is stuttering...is it a streaming video or is it fully downloaded and your watching it. If it's the first, its your online connection speed. If its the other, then its undoubtably your video card.

As Cubehacker said, 600mhz G3 isn't fast enough. I owned a 600mhz iBook G3. I do remember the stop and go when watching trailers at Quicktime.com.... that's why I sold it and tried to get a faster CPU with at least 32mb VRAM ibook...but ended up with buying a Powerbook G4 667mhz. I think your problem would be solved if you managed to get your hands on a G4 equipped laptop. I owned a 400mhz Tibook and even though it only had 8mb VRAM....the video was still smooth. I believe it's the CPU and the G4 has Altivec...so check it out if u can get your hands on one.
__________________
3.5 i7 3770k, 8Gb 1333 Ram, HD4000, 6 TB HD
2.3 i5 MBP
EHUnlucky7x9@ao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:38 PM   #11
CubeHacker
macrumors 65816
 
CubeHacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHUnlucky7x9@ao
Well, I'm just basing logic here. The closer your version of the OS to the original, would free up CPU usage. The G3 platform isn't too great for more current versions of OSX or use of video.


If the video is stuttering...is it a streaming video or is it fully downloaded and your watching it. If it's the first, its your online connection speed. If its the other, then its undoubtably your video card.

As Cubehacker said, 600mhz G3 isn't fast enough. I owned a 600mhz iBook G3. I do remember the stop and go when watching trailers at Quicktime.com.... that's why I sold it and tried to get a faster CPU with at least 32mb VRAM ibook...but ended up with buying a Powerbook G4 667mhz. I think your problem would be solved if you managed to get your hands on a G4 equipped laptop. I owned a 400mhz Tibook and even though it only had 8mb VRAM....the video was still smooth. I believe it's the CPU and the G4 has Altivec...so check it out if u can get your hands on one.
Yep, a G4 helps a LOT. My ancient 600mhz G4 can not only play the trailers fine, it can play all Divx's fine, and can even play H264 480p trailers 95% perfect (only a few frames dropped here and there).
CubeHacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips for improving Xcode performance? Twimfy iPhone/iPad Programming 7 Dec 14, 2013 06:12 PM
Improving Classic Mode Performance ? OSMac PowerPC Macs 3 Jan 27, 2013 09:54 AM
Help improving my video editing skills furious Digital Video 6 Dec 7, 2012 08:36 PM
Dual-band Airport Express / Extreme improving AirPlay performance? mobile23 Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Aug 27, 2012 07:41 PM
Restoring iOS 5 & improving performance? timize iPhone 0 Aug 3, 2012 02:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC