Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
R

retrovertigo

Original poster
I am trying to write documentation for Mail.app, but whenever I delete ~/Library/Mail and go to re-enter my settings, I notice that some things are kept, such as the SMTP Server List, whether or not the incoming or outgoing server uses SSL, etc. Where is this information stored? I am trying to get screenshots of each step when I am adding an account, the screen with the checkbox for "Use SSL" when you're configuring the incoming server is skipped during the account setup. I just want to clear all of Mail's settings and start from scratch. I've already deleted com.apple.mail.plist from ~/Library/Preferences but this doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Edit: I did some more searching and found /Library/Mail/MailAccounts.plist. However, it doesn't include the SMTP Server List.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
Why not just go to Mail>Preference>Accounts

Choose the account that is there.... click on the "-" symbol on the bottom. That will erase all the account for you and then you can set yourself up a new account from scratch?

R

retrovertigo

Original poster
That's not going to do it. Some settings seem to be retained after clicking the minus sign, as I've explained.

dankind

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Anyone know by any chance where Mail.app stores its presets for determining what's a response to a message (to show threaded emails)

Right now if an email has a subject labelled Re: xyz or Fwd: xyz it will be associated with the 'xyz' thread. However in certain countries Re: is Sv: and Mail.app is not picking this up... anyone know a workaround for this?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Like other applications preferences are stored in a plist file in ~/Library/Preferences/ The file will be named something like com.apple.mail.plist...

dankind

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Anyone know by any chance where Mail.app stores its presets for determining what's a response to a message (to show threaded emails)

Right now if an email has a subject labelled Re: xyz or Fwd: xyz it will be associated with the 'xyz' thread. However in certain countries Re: is Sv: and Mail.app is not picking this up... anyone know a workaround for this?

In case anyone else was wondering.. I found it in:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ScreenReader.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/ExceptionsDatabases/com.apple.mail.plist

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.