Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncook06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
A friend of mine and I bought a copy of MATLAB 7 Release 14 Service Pack 3 for my MB and his MBP for $100 each. During registration, we could not get either computer to find the machine id. He called Mathworks and they told him that it doesn't work on Intel Macs.

I have noted that many on this site talk about using Matlab on their Intel Macs.

So why won't it work for us?

Did you have to do something backwards?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
There's no way to run Matlab as you're used to it, with the GUI on an Intel Mac right now. You can run it in console-only mode under Rosetta, but it takes a little work. The process is described on the Mathworks website. There's supposed to be an Intel-compatible beta out for students this fall, with a final Universal student version shipping sometime in the first half of '07.

Matlab not running on Intel Macs is the only thing that's keeping me on a PPC notebook. I plan to upgrade to a MB or MBP soon after Matlab comes out for Intel Macs.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Matlab Intel Beta

Got an email about the Intel beta today:
The MATLAB beta for the Intel Mac OS X platform is available for download by users who are current on Software Maintenance Service.

Users can access the beta via the downloads page http://www.mathworks.com/web_downloads/ . Note that you need to have a license current on Software Maintenance Services and have a MathWorks Account to download the beta.

Please use the standard support form to report issues with this beta: http://www.mathworks.com/support/bugreports/
But then a few minutes later...
The MATLAB beta for Intel Mac has been temporarily removed from the website due to a startup bug. I will email to this list when the beta becomes available. Please note that there will be separate Student Version beta. If you are a student please check back on mathworks.com next week for information about how to sign up for the Student Version beta.

If you have already downloaded the beta there is a workaround:
rename the sym link sys/os/maci/libXm.2.dylib to sys/os/maci/libXm.3.dylib

I apologize for any inconvenience. We appreciate your continued interest in MATLAB for the Mac.

Also, how long has the Student verison of Matlab been available? I just checked into it for school this fall, and was surprised to see it at only $99.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
kainjow said:
Got an email about the Intel beta today:

But then a few minutes later...

Also, how long has the Student verison of Matlab been available? I just checked into it for school this fall, and was surprised to see it at only $99.

Been around for as long as I've been in college (5 years). Matlab not working on Intel Macs is the major reason I'm still using a PowerPC notebook. I simply need Matlab on my notebook.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Is the Intel Mac beta working yet?

I am about to buy a Mac and my PC is almost dead. I need to have MatLab when I switch, but don't want to have to buy/install XP to run MatLab.

Thanks

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
ChickenSwartz said:
Is the Intel Mac beta working yet?

I am about to buy a Mac and my PC is almost dead. I need to have MatLab when I switch, but don't want to have to buy/install XP to run MatLab.

Thanks

The student version beta became available a few days ago. You have to request it and they send it to you on DVD. You also have to prove you're a student, but all that's required for that is to take a picture of your student ID (or a couple other things) and upload it to them on their website. I requested my DVD yesterday, and it said it would ship in about 10 days. The beta expires in June 2007, by which time the real student version of Matlab should be compatible with Intel Macs.

As for the non-student beta, it's been available for a week or so I believe, but I'm not sure what you have to do to get it.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Has anyone gotten this beta DVD yet? I am wondering how well it works.

I no well function Matlab without....AH!

kukodajanos

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2006
Please

If somebody has the beta, let you upload for a torrent site. I m a poor student who spend all his money for the black MAcBook, but without MATLAB i cant live. So i were appreciated.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
kukodajanos said:
Please

If somebody has the beta, let you upload for a torrent site. I m a poor student who spend all his money for the black MAcBook, but without MATLAB i cant live. So i were appreciated.

Discussion of piracy is prohibited on these forums. You're liable to get the thread locked.

Besides, are you so cheap that you can't even afford something that's free? Just ask The Mathworks for the beta and they'll send you a copy.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
mduser63 said:
Discussion of piracy is prohibited on these forums. You're liable to get the thread locked.

Besides, are you so cheap that you can't even afford something that's free? Just ask The Mathworks for the beta and they'll send you a copy.

Have you gotten your DVD? I ordered mine last week and was wondering how long it took yours to arrive and how it works.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Good to know about the beta, i've submitted the form for mine, as usual Macrumors is a great place to find information! I was wondering why Matlab wasn't working on my Intel Macbook and now I know why...

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
ChickenSwartz said:
Have you gotten your DVD? I ordered mine last week and was wondering how long it took yours to arrive and how it works.

I haven't gotten mine. If it shipped 10 days after I requested it like they said it would, that would mean it shipped Saturday. Hopefully it's here within a few days. It would be really nice to finally have Matlab on my iMac.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
mduser63 said:
Been around for as long as I've been in college (5 years). Matlab not working on Intel Macs is the major reason I'm still using a PowerPC notebook. I simply need Matlab on my notebook.

Same here. I've got my PowerBook glued to my side for as long as it takes for the Intel Matlab to come out. As soon as that happens... MacBook Pro time!

i guess I missed out on the Matlab for Intel Beta, too bad for me. As soon as the lucky few who did get the beta get their hands on it, I'd love to hear how it goes. If it is at all usable, I'll be happy. At least Mathworks has demonstrated they're working on the problem... They just need to pick up the pace a bit.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Epicurus said:
At least Mathworks has demonstrated they're working on the problem... They just need to pick up the pace a bit.

I find it funny that the part that prevents Matlab from running in Rosetta is the Java based interface. I know they've said that they're are some serious technical issues involved in getting it running on Intel Macs, but I still wonder why it's taking them so very long. By the time the final Universal release comes out, the first Intel Macs will be well over a year old. Anyway, I'll be sure to post about the beta when I receive it.

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
i have to admit I was looking up matlab for illegitimate reasons when i found out this news. I've been waiting for an intel compatible version ever since i got my intel imac back in january, and I'd finally decided to install windows and do something a little illegal, but I was happy to find out I will not have to do that, and in fact i can give this guy a try for free before shelling out for it in the summer (when hopefully i'll have money to spend.... but i suppose i won't be a student then anymore either, damn!) Anyways... I just submitted my proof of studentship today, a shoddy photobooth shot of my old beat up ID, hope its good enough. Please do tell how how it goes when any of you get your DVD. What are y'all using matlab for?

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
so my student status was verified today, and I submitted my request for the beta. They say it'll ship in 2 to 4 business days. Are there any shipping charges?? I'm in the far away snowy lands of Canada...

Also, I was just noticing that this Beta will expire on June 30th. By then, if everything goes well over the next couple months, i will no longer be a student. Is it gonna be possible for me to buy a student copy as soon as it comes out, hopefully before i lose student status? Or is it looking like I'm gonna be stuck getting the grown up edition when I'm fresh out of school and still haven't made any cash?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.