Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Mar 31, 2003, 09:45 PM   #1
TaiyoT2
macrumors newbie

Red face do you really think the new ibook is coming out tomorrow?

Well, I heard that a new ibook is coming out tomorrow. It is said that its 1ghz g3 or something.
I also have heard that it might be a april fools thing..
what do you guys think?
TaiyoT2 is offline   0
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:13 PM   #2
Freg3000
macrumors 68000

Tonight, I am praying that it is true. I hope it is true-it seems just a little to coincidental for that ADC member on Spymac and the Kodawarisn report appear on the same day. But, if it is all just one big organized April Fools Joke, I'll be angry.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:20 PM   #3
vniow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally posted by Freg3000
seems just a little to coincidental for that ADC member on Spymac.......report appear on the same day.
I hope you know that that ADC member on Spymac has been full of crap before, I wouldn't take anything he says too seriously.....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...955#post281955
vniow is offline   0
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:31 PM   #4
iJon
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by vniow
I hope you know that that ADC member on Spymac has been full of crap before, I wouldn't take anything he says too seriously.....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...955#post281955
ywah he was a dick, anyways, what happened for him to become a guest. now back to the ibooks. that would be cool if they came out but with those rumors that japanese site posted it just seems unlikely. backlit keyboard, 1ghz, colors, why not just get rid of the 12 inch powerbook all together.

iJon
iJon is offline   0
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:35 PM   #5
iJon
macrumors 604

oh yeah, i read his post on spymac, by no means is anyone legally allowed to say a new ibook is coming out tomorrow, lets have some common sense, this just adds to his ignorance. im not saying he is wrong about them coming out, i am just saying i dont hink he would be legally allowed to say.

iJon
iJon is offline   0
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:44 PM   #6
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

I'd expect an announcement of a new iBook and/or iPod from somebody tomorrow...

Or something big and fabulous.
Sun Baked is offline   0
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:54 PM   #7
ibookin'
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun Baked
I'd expect an announcement of a new iBook and/or iPod from somebody tomorrow...

Or something big and fabulous.
I hope so...

If an iBook comes out tommorow, that means I'll be getting it. My trusty iBook 500 has become too big of a problem to maintain, so Apple is replacing it with the newest model.
ibookin' is offline   0
Old Apr 1, 2003, 09:56 AM   #8
gopher
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to gopher Send a message via Yahoo to gopher
Unlikely. They need to keep the iBooks Mac OS 9 bootable until enough educational software becomes Mac OS X native.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 10:28 AM   #9
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Even the photoshop gurus are suffering from Motorolitis today

It's now Tuesday April 1, 2003 and no big introduction...
Old Apr 1, 2003, 10:48 AM   #10
applemacdude
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to applemacdude Send a message via AIM to applemacdude Send a message via MSN to applemacdude Send a message via Yahoo to applemacdude Send a message via Skype™ to applemacdude
maybe it'll come later in the evening
applemacdude is offline   0
Old Apr 1, 2003, 11:44 AM   #11
JordanShapiro
macrumors member

huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by gopher
Unlikely. They need to keep the iBooks Mac OS 9 bootable until enough educational software becomes Mac OS X native.
Are you saying that Apple doesn't have the ability to upgrade the iBook's slow-as-hell G3 to something that's slow-as-purgatory without retaining the ability to boot into OS 9?

I think it's up to Apple whether or not these new systems can boot into 9. I'm pretty damn sure that my 12" could handle it, but I'm just not allowed to see it for myself. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Don't force people to use OS X... there are already enough reasons to migrate - Safari, iApps, etc.

Jordan
Old Apr 1, 2003, 12:02 PM   #12
djniche
macrumors regular

tired of waiting

really tired of waiting for any product really. I think apple takes too long to upgrade. The ipod is really what i'm waiting for but who knows when the new one will come out.. would you buy now or wait!!
djniche is offline   0
Old Apr 1, 2003, 05:31 PM   #13
daniel77
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by iJon
ywah he was a dick, anyways, what happened for him to become a guest. now back to the ibooks. that would be cool if they came out but with those rumors that japanese site posted it just seems unlikely. backlit keyboard, 1ghz, colors, why not just get rid of the 12 inch powerbook all together.

iJon
yes why not. lower the 15 incher to 1799, with an 867, and let people buy millions of them
daniel77 is offline   0
Old Apr 1, 2003, 06:02 PM   #14
yzedf
Banned

Send a message via AIM to yzedf
Re: huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by JordanShapiro
Are you saying that Apple doesn't have the ability to upgrade the iBook's slow-as-hell G3 to something that's slow-as-purgatory without retaining the ability to boot into OS 9?

I think it's up to Apple whether or not these new systems can boot into 9. I'm pretty damn sure that my 12" could handle it, but I'm just not allowed to see it for myself. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Don't force people to use OS X... there are already enough reasons to migrate - Safari, iApps, etc.

Jordan
In most respects the G3 is faster than the G4. Overall the G4 is only faster due to the Altivec add-on. G3 product release rate has been slowed down because of this. Look at the timeline of G4 speed increases in the last year versus the G3. We know that a G3 1GHz has been around forever... but Apple won't buy them because it would make the G4 1GHz look pretty foolish (not that the G4 doesn't already mind you). The release of a 970 soon would get the iBook up to a 1GHz G3 in pretty quick order, I would presume. Couple with 1GB of RAM, and that would be a sweet little mahine!
yzedf is offline   0
Old Apr 1, 2003, 06:13 PM   #15
JordanShapiro
macrumors member

Benchmarks mean relatively little to me, I speak from experience. A Rev. A TiBook 400 absolutely creamed the performance of an iBook 600 to me. I think the same TiBook still stacks up very nicely against the latest iBooks and my 12" is a hell of a lot faster than the iBook 800.

Bottom line - G3s are terrible. G4s are not a whole lot better. I've been a hybrid user since 1986, when I had my first computer of my very own, an Apple IIe. I was three years old. Since I was about 10, PCs have been faster. They still are. As long as Apple sticks with Motorola, they will always lag behind in sheer processing power. This should honestly not be up for debate. The entire dual processor concept is an attempt to boost performance in the absence of true clock speeds.

It IS NOT Apple's fault. It's just one irritating "screw you" in a line of decisions that have kept Apple at their market share. Just like the 6502 was the Albotross for so many years, Motorola is now hanging around our collective necks.

My point: let's get on the ball. Enough of the "megahertz myth" marketing. Let's put out some computers that really are faster by every measure. God knows we deserve it after so many years of dedication.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 06:22 PM   #16
iJon
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by daniel77
yes why not. lower the 15 incher to 1799, with an 867, and let people buy millions of them
well im sure people would by tons of macs is apple lowered prices by 500 dollars.

iJon
iJon is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers