Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
You know it's funny... sometimes I feel like I have all this design experience and can handle anything that's thrown my way. And other times, I'm humbled into realizing I'm still just a baby...

This seems like a dumb question, but here goes... Is there a way to outline text (or somehow preserve it's appearence) from a PDF with fonts embedded, so that it can be opened up in Illustrator and edited without Illy replacing the fonts used with others on your system?

I'm laying out a program for an upcoming conference, and I'm beginning to receive ads from sponsors that are sending very nice, high-quality PDFs, and I need to place them in my Illustrator compositions...

I'm sure there is a simple answer for this as I assume people have to do this all the time, but I can't figure it out. Any insight?

Thanks a bunch.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
That's a little confusing... not sure if I have you right... but if you're receiving all these ads for placement in a larger layout, and they are, in and of themselves, fine, with the fonts embedded, I would recommend you use Quark or Indesign for your layout and just place them as is. If you're already really far along with an Illustrator composition, just place that too.

eyeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
Oh see, I knew it would be a relatiely easy answer. I just need to PLACE the file (as in File > Place) rather than open it up on its own and drag it over...

This is what I needed to know -- problem solved. Thanks a ton.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Ummm.. that's not what I said. :)

I don't know what results you'll get 'placing' them in Illustrator. I know you will get correct results 'placing' them in Quark. Who knows, it's probably fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.