Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jollins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
Honestly, how does Apple recieve such high marks for their customer service? This is by far the slowest and most fumbled computer repair process I've ever dealt with (and this is comparing Apple to my experience with pre-HP merger COMPAQ and Dell!). Ideally, I'd get my money back and buy a PC but unfortunately I'm stuck in computer limbo.

My MacBook has been in the shop waiting for a new logic board and a few other parts since the 5th. This is the third repair, and once again it is simply waiting on a shelf somewhere. The first repair took two weeks and the tech center did not even replace the correct parts (which was the logic board because I had random shut downs). Repair #2 was in store (because they felt sorry for me) and they replaced the part, but a few days later came a bunch of new problems. Now this is the third repair and the replacement logic board has yet to even arrive after 10 days. The Apple retail store refused to replace the computer because it was in a non-stock configuration and because they had nothing in inventory.

So overall, since early August I have been dealing with this. I leave for college on Sunday, and having a working notebook would have been nice. They are going to ship it up to me whenever they finish.

For those of you who are relieved that you have a perfectly functional machine, keep in mind that mine worked flawlessly for the first two months I had it.

That is all. I just felt like saying that so far switching has not been the best choice for me.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Perception != Reality

I am pretty sure many of those polled don't even own a Mac, they just see all those adverts and media coverage Apple has and thinks that Apple computers are good quality. Just wait till they actually buy one when they discover it is the same old **** again, albeit this time in shiny white plastic.

Perhaps Apple really can polish a turd.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I don't get this. Macbooks aren't even a year old. If it was me, after the 2nd failed repair I wouldn't leave the store until I left with a brand new machine. 3 repairs is just unheard of for a new laptop and you deserve to be frustrated.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I'm kind of in the same position as you, albeit with an older Powerbook. It got in quickly, was repaired quickly, and has been "pending return" for a week now. Every time I call Applecare to see what the deal is, and when I can expect it back, I get insanely long hold times, and then I'm disconnected. Tonight I was on hold for 45 minutes before the system just hung up on me. Whee!

Hang in there, though! If you ever do get a working Mac back, you'll love it! I promise!

Just an update: After another 50 minute wait on hold, I was told that my computer had "failed final testing" and that it needed a new part. But also that apparently the part had never been ordered, so the lady put in the order for it. Yay! It'll take a few days she said until they get it and can install it, but that I should call them back next Wed/Thurs. if the status on their web page isn't updated. Since they apparently "don't update that very often". Ahhh... so much fun. This service is TOTALLY worth $350 (what the repair is costing me)!

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
I'm in almost the same boat as you. I'm on my second repair in one week. Crappy customer service, no communication and horrid experience overall. Albeit not with Apple Corporate, with a local reseller. I've been without a working mac for a week and a half, which is a lifetime in the e-commerce industry... Gah!

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
i've always had great repair service from apple. only had to experience it twice, but both times the customer support was very helpful, and the turnaround time was amazing (3 days from ship to return!).

i can definitely understand your frustration though. i've read of others having horrible experiences with them, but I, personally, will never blink twice at sending a computer in to applecare - guess that might change the first time i have an experience such as the one you've had, though!

kevin1182

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2005
Similar to Bose

Yep, Apple has damn good marketing and people will swear by them even without any first hand experience. Reminds me of some BOSE enthusiasts who swear their products are by far the best, although they have never bothered to try anything else.....

To the original poster: I feel your pain. My macbook will be gone for 3 weeks on Tuesday, after being told it would take 1 week. Of all the electronics I've ever had serviced this has been by far the worst experience. If I didn't like osx so much I wouldn't buy Apple again.

Kevin

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I post because people are always more inclined to post about the one time bad experience than they are about good ones. Out of the bad, the inclination to post is directly related to the severity of the problem/issue.

So, My Powerbook had display issues a couple years back. Apple overnighted me a box, it was prepaid to overnight back. It was repaired in two days, and overnighted again back to me. I live in the boon docks so overnight is really two days, even so, it wasn't out of my hand for more then 5 business days :\

Sorry to hear about your luck, but Apple is rated as a whole. There are always bad experiences, and always bad reps. Behind their above average ratings and quality there are still human beings working 9-5.

~Tyler

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I'm in the same boat- due to 2-3 weeks estimated shipping, I won't have a laptop for the first two weeks of school.

Luckily, my mother will loan me her PowerBook G4 :D

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
I'm in the same boat, my macbook is currently in for repairs for the second time in about a week in a half. The first repair, which was for RSS (which also started 2 months after purchase, after a flawless two months) was fixed and returned to me very quickly (five days). I was actually impressed with how quickly it turned around (even if I was disappointed that I had to send it in at all).

The second return, after the same problems started happening right after the first repair, has been unpleasant to say the least.

I use my laptop for note taking for my med school classes and I back up my computer regularly (to an external HD). My computer f-ed up for the second time and I took it in for service on a Thursday. We had an exam (always a big exam) on Monday. I had no notes and no way to get my notes for that exam. Now a week later, we have an exam for another class coming up this Monday, and I am still without my laptop and thus without my notes.

I've had three Apple computers before this one and never had problems with any of them. I have had problems with my iPods, but the service on them has been phenomenal. I realize that the MacBook is a first revision product but this problem is unacceptable. I paid for a computer to be able to use it, not so that it could be "On Hold - Waiting for Parts" while I am still paying for internet service, and now mooching notes off of my classmates. I am writing a letter to Apple. This is unsatisfactory.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Jollins said:
Honestly, how does Apple recieve such high marks for their customer service? This is by far the slowest and most fumbled computer repair process I've ever dealt with (and this is comparing Apple to my experience with pre-HP merger COMPAQ and Dell!).

Although I don't know every repair made by Apple, they probably do better than other manufacturers on the whole. (I'm assuming that the polling is correct.) There will always be a few people here and there that receive bad/horrible experiences, just as even the lowest rated companies for service might now and then turn out a good experience.

I've always had fast repair times with Apple. My friend sent in her Dell laptop, and it was out for 3 weeks. I told her to call up Dell and literally yell at them. She finally got it back after a total of 4 weeks, a couple days after classes had started. Again, I'm sure that not every single Dell repair is like this, and that my friend was just unlucky. Maybe you're incredibly unlucky too. Usually yelling at Apple over the phone makes your luck better though...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Argh, this topic really irritates me because it seems that emotions are overriding some folks ability to use logic.

Parts are in short-supply because Apple had to redesign NEW logicboards and heatsinks.

They had to redesign new logicboards and heatsinks because putting a new logicboard and heatsink of the old design into the MacBook and shipping it back to the user didn't fix the problem.

Until Apple's had a chance to manufacture enough newly redesigned logicboards and heatsinks, repairs will be put on hold. (For the record, my MacBook is one of the ones on hold).

CHROMEDOME

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
Bay Area/LA
Today is the 22nd day I've been without my Macbook.

Its been sitting in the repair center, awaiting a new heatsink and bezel since Aug 29th.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
kevin1182 said:
Yep, Apple has damn good marketing and people will swear by them even without any first hand experience. Reminds me of some BOSE enthusiasts who swear their products are by far the best, although they have never bothered to try anything else.....

Bose units are pretty up and down. I've heard really good Bose systems and really bad Bose systems. it's luck of the draw in my experience.

Jollins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
aristobrat said:
Argh, this topic really irritates me because it seems that emotions are overriding some folks ability to use logic.

Parts are in short-supply because Apple had to redesign NEW logicboards and heatsinks.

They had to redesign new logicboards and heatsinks because putting a new logicboard and heatsink of the old design into the MacBook and shipping it back to the user didn't fix the problem.

Until Apple's had a chance to manufacture enough newly redesigned logicboards and heatsinks, repairs will be put on hold. (For the record, my MacBook is one of the ones on hold).
This is the first I've heard of this. Also, I think I have a right to be angry because they've already attempted a repair twice and now they are doing the same thing a third time. However, if you are right and this added delay is because they are actually making an improvement this time, then that is a valid reason.

Rodstermac

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2006
I just ordered one so I do not have issues but I am reading all of this information with interest.

I will tell you that I have expreienced mostly good experiences with Apple over my 13 years as a "tech guy" working with hundreds of Apples and dealing with their support institutionally and personally.

The rep you get can make the difference for any company. I once had an unbelieveable issue with my Lexus and I was told by the company that the car was "working as designed" when it wasn't working at all! Needless to say, the local service mgr was great and the Lexus rep was fired (they told me) All of this happened while I would read in Consumer Reports about Lexus' #1 customer rating HA! So, hang in there and remember this. You are not stuck with the product in your first year and if you have record of issues. If there is a serious design problem regardless of their policy you can get it resolved. The only issue is the hassle. What Aristobrat said is true. Just wait and hope they get it right. That is more than many other companies would do. Another example -- mazda misquoted the horsepower on the RX8 in 2003 and offered to buy back the car or give free service for 4 years and $500 to anyone that bought one because of 12 hp misquote (real customer option) When Nissan misquoted the acceleration/perffomance times on their larger car M or whatever it is called, they did nothing but listen to complaints. Hmm.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I have had nothing but positive experiences with Apple customer support. When my PowerBook was taking over a month to fix, they sent me a MacBook Pro to replace it.

Katharine

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
I am about to send my macbook in for the 2nd time also due to shutdowns. The first time they had it for 3 weeks because they didn't have the part in. Everytime I called they told me I would have it back in the 7-10 day business window. Even after it had already been that long :rolleyes:

I know everyone says that you only hear from the bad ones on forums but I don't really care how many good vs bad there are. There is a lot of bad ones out there and the people posting are just the ones who are on forums.

Apple needs to step up and admit to the problem and if they are going to take somepne's computer for repair ADMIT it will be a while rather than just give a standard answer that ins't true. It just makes them seem untrustworthy.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Katharine said:
I am about to send my macbook in for the 2nd time also due to shutdowns. The first time they had it for 3 weeks because they didn't have the part in. Everytime I called they told me I would have it back in the 7-10 day business window. Even after it had already been that long :rolleyes:

I know everyone says that you only hear from the bad ones on forums but I don't really care how many good vs bad there are. There is a lot of bad ones out there and the people posting are just the ones who are on forums.

Apple needs to step up and admit to the problem and if they are going to take somepne's computer for repair ADMIT it will be a while rather than just give a standard answer that ins't true. It just makes them seem untrustworthy.

On the other hand, you could just not listen to them and expect that a repair will take 4 times as long as they claim and if it gets fixed sooner you can be pleasantly surprised.

Or, you could take down the name of the person who gives you the information, and if it takes longer argue with a manager and maybe get something out of the situation, like credit or a coupon or discount for a future purchase or something.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Mine's going out again for the 2nd time. I just want a working/reliable machine. I can't cross my fingers and hope my computer doesn't turn off in the middle of working can I?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.