Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alan curson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
I have a G4 Powerbook running osx 10.4.7... I just bought the mbox2 with protools LE 7.0 which all looks great... however, the install notes with it, recommend configuring a hard drive specially for it, and the laptop configuration diag shows an external firewire hard drive...
(A) is installing to the external hard drive necessary/advisable or just a good idea?
(B) If the external hard drive is unneccessary is it ok to install onto my hard disk ? Music is a hobby for me and the laptop is my office so I don't want to jeopardise any applications or files etc
(C) I do have an external 250GB firewire hard drive which I use to back up my laptop. If I install to this, does it mean I can no longer use it as back up ?
(D) If I install to an external drive do I have to install osx on that drive as well as on my laptop?

Sorry if this all sounds really ignorant and stupid, but that's probably because I am

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
install PTLE on your internal drive, but place the session files* on the external drive. PT will default to placing the audio in a folder under the location of the session file, and that is what you want.

you can use the external drive for other things, PT doesn't "own" the drive or anything. no, you don't need osx or any special drivers or anything on the external drive.

* by this i mean that when you say New Project... in PT, browse to the external drive (to, say, a folder called Music) and create the project there. PT will automatically create a folder with the name of your song and place the session file there. PT will take care of the rest.

alan curson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
thanks...

zimv20 said:
install PTLE on your internal drive, but place the session files* on the external drive. PT will default to placing the audio in a folder under the location of the session file, and that is what you want.

you can use the external drive for other things, PT doesn't "own" the drive or anything. no, you don't need osx or any special drivers or anything on the external drive.

* by this i mean that when you say New Project... in PT, browse to the external drive (to, say, a folder called Music) and create the project there. PT will automatically create a folder with the name of your song and place the session file there. PT will take care of the rest.

thanks that's a great help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.